cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 5

FTTP upload limited to 20 Mbps by Smart Hub 2

Does anyone know if the latest BT Smart Hub 2 somehow limits upload speeds to 20 Mbps?

I am on an FTTP 160/30 profile. When connected using the BT Smart Hub 2, the download speed is 142, but upload is only 20. If however I connect my PC directly using a PPPoE connection, then download is 142 and upload is 30.

So why is the Smart Hub 2 restricting upload speed?

0 Ratings
4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5

Re: FTTP upload limited to 20 Mbps by Smart Hub 2

@tarbat 

Its internal hardware is probably not fast enough to cope with downloading, uploading, and managing the wireless connections, all at once.

Your PC would have a much faster processor, and a fast Ethernet port.

You may also find that if you do upload too fast, your FTTP connection will drop, as this has been reported before, and changes were made to the home hub firmware to stop this from happening.

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 5

So switching to a 160/30 profile to get faster uploads was a waste of money then? I don't need any more download speed, it's upload speed I need.

After all, BT sell their Fibre 100 product as capable of 30 Mbps upload, presumably with THEIR hub/router.

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 5

BT only guarantee download speed, not upload speed. I am not sure what the specifications of the Smart Hub 2 are.

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 5

It may be that you are on the wrong profile although getting the correct upload on your direct PC connection should have shown the same.

Have a look at this thread.

https://community.bt.com/t5/BT-Fibre-broadband/BT-Ultrafast-Fibre-Plus-specification/td-p/1891546

You should contact the FTTP team 0800 587 4787 and report the issue to them.

They should be able to sort it out for you or at the least give you a reason why you are not getting the upload speed.

0 Ratings