cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
DSLAMdunkin
Contributor
Message 1 of 18

FTTPoD (that's FTTP Oh Dear....)

As having a high grade, stable and fast broadband connection would be of use to me, I decided to enquire about FTTP (especially given BT's recent comments to the Ofcom enquiry with regard to FTTP costs and availability, and the often stated position that any line which can receive FTTC broadband can also get FTTP)

I began by checking service availability, from my street cabinet, by using the BT Wholesale ADSL Checker.As I expected, this showed that the generic FTTP service was not available, so it would have to be FTTPoD.Fair enough.

It all began well. Having contacted BT, the agent checked my line details and immediately put me through to the 'FTTP Sales Team'.There then followed the strangest 'sales' discussion I have ever had.It became clear that they were doing everything they could to dissuade me from having anything to do with FTTP ('FTTPoD...' [rep sucks intake of breath through teeth...]).The rep also explained that it 'could cost well over £10,000 to install the line' - this despite the fact that we were both aware that my property is only 200m from the DSLAM, with all ducting and pole in place.Once he realised that I wasn't to be denied, it was then claimed that, as FTTPoD, it was 'down to Openreach'.That ended the discussion...

Ah well - to Openreach.Yes...I was aware that it would be FTTPoD and, yes, I had already contacted my ISP who told me that it was down to Openreach.Ah...so you're saying that because it would be FTTPoD it's down to my ISP and I need to contact them?...

So....BT Broadband say that because it's FTTPoD it's down to Openreach, and Openreach say that because it's FTTPoD it's down to my ISP - BT Broadband.Hmmm...get the impression that they're trying to be as difficult and obstructive about FTTPoD as they can?....

So much for the statements to Ofcom.'Ofconned', more like.......If anyone can advise where I can get sensible and serious advice about FTTPoD, then please let me know.Just don't suggest contacting the FTTP Dissuasion - sorry -  'Sales' Team or Openreach Customer Services.....

0 Ratings
17 REPLIES 17
Checked2013
Expert
Message 2 of 18

Re: FTTPoD (that's FTTP Oh Dear....)

It's up to an ISP if they provide FTTPoD or not and if they do then they would get OpenReach to carry out the work

Also don't get FTTP and FTTPoD mixed up as they are very different services

0 Ratings
gt94sss2
Aspiring Expert
Message 3 of 18

A few points:

1. FTTPoD does not come from your FTTC cabinet - instead it comes direct from something called an 'fibre aggregation node' which could be much further away than the FTTC cabinet.

2. As has been suggested to you, FTTPoD is very expensive and slow/complex to install - in fact until very recently BT Wholesale prevented their ISP customers from ordering it from Openreach because of this fact. Even now its technically available, many reputable ISPs will refuse to accept/process an order as they know how difficult, time consuming and fustrating the FTTPoD process is.

3. Openreach recognise this as well - and are in the middle of trialing something called "Fibre on Demand" (FOD) which is a replacement for FTTPoD - its supposed to be a much cheaper and faster method . You would be well advised to wait for that.

0 Ratings
DSLAMdunkin
Contributor
Message 4 of 18

Hello All

Thanks for the replys.

I hoped I had made clear that I appreciate the difference between FTTP and FTTPoD.

The aggregation node (in this case) happens to be close to the cabinet (I asked a local Openreach engineer about that - it was that knowledge which led me to believe that FTTPoD would be 'do-able'...)

Fibre on Demand is simply FTTPoD with cable connectors and rope pulls (to feed the cable) rather than splicing and compressed air (it's the use of connectors rather than splicing which is the major cost saving).

The core issue I was raising was as much about BT's / Openreach's attitude as the technicalities of the service.Just plucking a 'put-you -off' figure out of the air without any proper discussion or survey of the proposal, and setting up a closed circle 'pass-the buck' argument is no way to treat potential customers for a service.BT is clearlly wedded to G Fast, and clearly wants to direct customers to that (once it becomes available).

How do I get an accurate estimate of costs (based on establishing the actual metreage of cable, other infrastructure costs, and so on) with the attitude displayed by BT's 'sales' (ahem...) team?....

gt94 - your comments with regard to other ISP's make exactly the arguments made by other ISP's to Ofcom; that Openreach has been obstructive in opening up it's network to others (hence why they regard FTTPoD as difficult).

0 Ratings
licquorice
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 18

0 Ratings
john46
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 18

FTTPoD is a business based product not a residential product also monthly charges are around £300 per month and a 3 year contract
0 Ratings
DSLAMdunkin
Contributor
Message 7 of 18

Hello Liqourice

Thank you for your reply.

The price list was my starting point.However, without an accurate figure for metreage, and so on, any figure would just be a guess - and, so far, no-one at BT or Openreach seems interested in helping.However, what is clear is that it should be nothing like 'well over £10,000...' (the rep offered no explanation of how that figure was arrived at - because he was just trying to put me off - he might as well have said £20,000, or any other ridiculous figure...)

There's a world of difference between 'can't be done' and 'can't be bothered...'.I suspect that the G Fast fixation is leading BT to do nothing to promote the alternative when they think they can get away with it.

Come on, BT - I'm sure you can do better.I'll try e-mailing, and shall advise of any progress......but I'm not holding my breath!

0 Ratings
john46
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 18

0 Ratings
DSLAMdunkin
Contributor
Message 9 of 18

Hello John

Thank you for your replies.

Yes - the monthly charges are another area where I shall have to seek clarification ( in order to arrive at a credible cost / benefit analysis).

With regard to the fibre installation, I would remind everyone of Openreach's own statement - 'even after the January 2014 price increase, it is anticipated that over 96% of UK premiises shall face an installation charge no greater than £2,500...'. Whichever way you look at it, that's nowhere near 'over £10,000...'.They are clearly a Sales Team who are determined that there should be no sales whatsoever of this service.

Perhaps my property is one of the unfortunate 4%? But if no-one from BT or Openreach can be bothered to find out for me....

0 Ratings
DSLAMdunkin
Contributor
Message 10 of 18

re link ti ISP Review - I note that even they were 'given the run-around by BT' over this....Smiley Wink

0 Ratings