cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
john46
Distinguished Sage
Message 11 of 18

Re: FTTPoD (that's FTTP Oh Dear....)

Can you run this checker and post back a screen shot of the results. Make sure you delete your phone number before posting.

http://www.dslchecker.bt.com/adsl/adslchecker.welcome

this is to enable us to see what services are available to you
0 Ratings
DSLAMdunkin
Contributor
Message 12 of 18

Hello John

As I stated in my original post, I had already used the DSL Checker - all services are available except generic FTTP.So the one thing (from my discussions so far) that myself, BT and Openreach are agreed on is that provision of fibre to my premises would be some form of 'on demand' service.Whether that is FTTPoD, FOD, or even some form of hybrid remains to be seen - if anyone from BT and / or Openreach is prepared to seriously address my query, that is....

I must admit to being somewhat dismayed by the response of BT and Openreach.FTTC was only installed a couple of years ago, so Openreach must have pretty up to date information with regard to local infrastructure.They have also made much, recently, of their network mapping (opening up the network to other ISP's) - would it really be too much effort for someone at Openreach to look at the appropriate map and advise, so that we can all begin to make more informed decisions; it's not as if (at this stage) they're having to come out and do a physical survey.

Fortunately, I had an e-mail address for a BT technical team who have provided very useful advice and information in the past - if / when I receive a reply, I shall post here accordingly (even if it's just to inform that no-one has replied...).

0 Ratings
DSLAMdunkin
Contributor
Message 13 of 18

Well, I've had a reply to my e-mail.Apparently, I can get Infinity broadband and should contact the FTTC sales team......

Useless - a total disregard of my actual enquiry.I must admit that I'm starting to get rather cross about the treatment I'm getting from BT / Openreach.

Is there any possibility that a Moderator could pick this one up, please - or are you also barred from promoting anything but G Fast? (which, incidentally, we now know will go no further than the FTTC DSLAM cabinet....). Otherwise, given events as set out in this thread, I'm at a loss how to proceed if no-one from BT will cooperate? Refer to Ofcom?

0 Ratings
john46
Distinguished Sage
Message 14 of 18

it is down to individual ISP's to offer FTTPoD in BT's case it is a business product not residential simply down to cost as to Openreach they are not public facing and will refer you back to the service providers I'm am curious if why FTTC is available to you why not just order a standard FTTC product
0 Ratings
john46
Distinguished Sage
Message 15 of 18

This link suggests the product is currently not being sold by Openreach http://www.ispreview.co.uk/talk/showthread.php/33918-The-return-of-FTTPOD

0 Ratings
DSLAMdunkin
Contributor
Message 16 of 18

Hello John

Your link is to a thread, at ISP Review, which is over a year old.It has been widely reported, and no-one from BT or Openreach has claimed otherwise to myself, that the FTTPoD / FoD / FoD2 'stop-sell' has been lifted (indeed, I was initially put through to the FTTP Sales Team, at BT).Based on my experience so far, I feel that they have done so just to make all the right noises to Ofcom, but with no intention of doing anything if at all possible.

If BT / Openreach don't want to provide a service, then fine - but they should have the decency to say so.

Why I want an FTTP service is irrelevant - BT either provide a service or they don't, and should advise potential customers accordingly; not subject them to the nonsense I have been.I'm surprised that you appear to want to defend BT's conduct.

0 Ratings
conrad
Recognised Expert
Message 17 of 18

0 Ratings
DSLAMdunkin
Contributor
Message 18 of 18

Hello Conrad

Thank you for your reply.

Yes - like most individuals with an interest in the subject, I too follow ISP Review. My main issue has been BT's approach - claiming, for example, that it's 'down to Openreach' when it isn't.Perhaps I should be counter-intuitive and try the FTTP Sales Team again - maybe I just encountered a poorly informed agent? (although I doubt it - and what is someone like that doing on a Sales Team?....)

Given that my installation would be On Demand (so I have to meet the infrastructure costs) there are none of the 'loss making' issues from generic FTTP (where BT have to meet all the costs), so I'm struggling to see what BT's problem is.

0 Ratings