Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ninja_penguin
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 12

Failed Cancellation

Go to solution

Hello.

On the 12th of July, I placed an order for BT phone, tv, and infinity broadband. I was told that everything would go live on the 26th of July. On the 26th of July, I received a text message saying that it was all set up, and my internet would be on within half an hour. At the end of the day (the 26th July), I contacted BT as by internet had not yet gone live, only to be told that it wouldn't go live until the 3rd of August. I wasn't entirely happy about this, but there was nothing I could do.

Before the 3rd of August arrived, I was contacted by BT and told that unfortunately, due to unforseen circumstances, I would be unable to have internet until the 10th of August. At this point, I was getting mad and I told the person that contacted me that if it was postponed again, I would cancel everything.

On the 4th of August I received a text message saying that my broadband had been postponed AGAIN until the 17th August. I contacted BT and asked them about the delays, and if there was any chance of my installation date being brought forward. They said that they would ring me back the next morning. When they rung me back on the 6th August (not the next morning) I was told that there was a problem at the exchange, and my installation date could not be brought forward.

At this point I told the operator to cancel my service. I was transferred to the cancellation department, which kept me on hold for twenty minutes. Once I was finally through to the cancellation department, I explained my situation to the man there, and asked him to cancel all the sevices and refund the years line rental that I had paid up front. I only have line rental because it is needed for broadband, I don't have a home phone plugged into the socket. After ten minutes on the phone with him, he told me that it had all been cancelled and all of the money that I have paid in advance will be returned. The refund may take up to five working days to go back onto my card, I was told.

Today, I have received a phone call telling me that my internet is up and running, and asking if it is ok. I told the lady on thje phone that I had cancelled it a couple of weeks ago, she seemed to know nothing about this. She transferred me to a man (I assume a different department), I explained my situation to him, and he seemed to understand, however the call was disconnected. I do not wish to call back and be kept on hold, I have spent enough time on hold with BT over the past few weeks.

The money still has not been refunded, and it has been more than five working days.

I do not want to receive a bill for services that I am not using. I am now with Virgin, who managed to get cable active for me within a couple of days of me contacting them, which was immediately after cancelling with BT.

Surely it doesn't take five weeks between ordering and activating infinity!

0 Ratings
11 REPLIES 11
DavidM
Message 2 of 12

Re: Failed Cancellation

Go to solution

Hi @ninja_penguin and thanks for posting.

I'm sorry you've had problems getting the service cancelled. If our online billing team can't help please let me know and I'll be happy to lend a hand.

Cheers

David

0 Ratings
ninja_penguin
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 12

Go to solution

Hi @DavidM, thak you for replying.

I contacted the online billing team on Friday, after seeing a reply containing that link in another thread.

After a 3/4 hour online conversation with them, they then rang me and I was put through to (I believe) cancellations. After being on the phone with them for one and a half hours, most of it spent on hold, they managed to find a record of my original cancellation. I'm not sure why the other people that I have spoken to couldn't see it, customer service seems a bit of a shambles.

They say that it should all be sorted, and they are going to ring me back on Monday to make sure. 

0 Ratings
DavidM
Message 4 of 12

Go to solution

Thanks for that @ninja_penguin. Appreciate you taking time to do that. Let me know how the call goes tomorrow and if there's anything I can do to help I'll be happy to do so.

Cheers

David

0 Ratings
ninja_penguin
Aspiring Contributor
Message 5 of 12

Go to solution

So...

It appears that this is still going on.

Today I recieved this email.

Your final payment is late. You need to pay £31.50 straight away

You haven't paid your final bill yet. We realise it might have been missed or you might have been away but it's late and you need to pay your bill now to avoid your credit rating being downgraded

What will happen if you don't pay now

We'll pass your details to a debt collection agency, which could affect your credit rating and any future credit.

How to check your bill balance, breakdown and charges

If you want to check what's what, it's easy to find out more about your bill at bt.com/checkmybill.

Please pay £31.50 now at bt.com/finalpayment

Last month I recieved a bill for £277.19, which after an online chat, and then a phone call, I was assured was cancelled. Sure enough, after checking this month's bill, I see that it has been cancelled.

Now, however a new charge has been added. This charge is for disconnection of my broadband. The broadband, I might add, that was cancelled before it was even connected.

I do not appreciate threats & demands for money which I do not owe. I was assured that my account was to be closed and there were to be no more bills.

0 Ratings
JohnC2
Message 6 of 12

Go to solution

Hi @ninja_penguin Sorry this still hasn't been sorted for you.

We will be happy to help you with this if you send us your details. You can contact us by clicking on my user name and selecting contact the mods.

Thanks
John

0 Ratings
ninja_penguin
Aspiring Contributor
Message 7 of 12

Go to solution

So... I contacted the mods on 29/09/2016, as requested. I received a comfirmation email stating that the aim is to get back to me within 48 hours. It now being 05/10/2016, and having still not received a response, I am unsure what to do.

0 Ratings
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 12

Go to solution

There is a delay of about five working days for the mods to deal. They cannot change the default 48 hour message you received.

0 Ratings
JohnC2
Message 9 of 12

Go to solution

Hi @ninja_penguin Sorry for the delay in getting to your case. I've checked and you are nearing the top of the queue and we will be in touch soon to help you with this.

Cheers

John

0 Ratings
JohnC2
Message 10 of 12

Go to solution

Hi @ninja_penguin Just to confirm for the community the incorrect charges were removed from your account.

Cheers