cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
alexuk2
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 15

Failed Infinity installation

An Openreach engineer came yesterday to install Infinity to replace my Plusnet service. He fitted a data extension kit between the master socket in the lounge and the back room. However, he was unable to make a successful connection to the new fibre cabinet in the street. He concluded that the cabinet was faulty and aborted the installation. He reconnected my old router back to Plusnet. He said he would file a report about the faulty cabinet and I would have to wait until it was repaired and rearrange another appointment. He said mine was the first Infinity order for that cabinet. Why don't BT check the cabinets are actually working before they take orders from customers? I wasted an afternoon off from work and have to repeat the exercise again in the future. Anyone know if I will need another MAC code from my existing ISP as it will doubtless be more than 30 days since I obtained it before BT fix the faulty cabinet.

Overall, not a happy first experience of BT's fibre service.

Update: Today my internet has gone off completely, so I assume the transfer from Plusnet has been actioned notwithstanding the fact that BT Infinity has not been installed. My status on MyBT says “Order Complete” – I wish!

0 Ratings
14 REPLIES 14
PC
Recognised Expert
Message 2 of 15

Re: Failed Infinity installation

I am very sad to hear about your situation.

Infinity is worth struggling for.... Smiley Happy

Must go as it's late so I have sent you a quick PM.

--------------------------------------------//--------------------------------------------
Please Click On any Text in Blue as that automatically links to information.

PC (NDEGR)

0 Ratings
Community Manager - Retired
Message 3 of 15

Hi alexuk2,

Welcome to the forum.

If you can send over your details, we'll be able to look into this further for you.

You can get our "Contact us" form by clicking on my username, it's under "About me" (top-left of my profile page).

Thanks,

Stephanie
0 Ratings
alexuk2
Aspiring Contributor
Message 4 of 15

Thanks for the replies.

I got through to BT on the phone this morning and they say they will send another engineer out this afternoon. This means another half day off work and lost wages. I hope he can fix it this time. I am using the computer at work to post this.

0 Ratings
alexuk2
Aspiring Contributor
Message 5 of 15

As a follow-up I am happy to report I have now got a working Infinity service. To my surprise the same Openreach engineer from the previous day turned up to correct a reported "fault". I said, yes I did report a fault, namely that I had lost all internet access. He once again told me that the problem was with the cabinet and I needed a cabinet engineer. Back to square one. He admitted that the reason why I was cut off from my previous ISP was because he confused my job with another job he did that day and he reported the wrong job as completed. He said that a cabinet engineer had attended earlier in the day and had condemned the cabinet due to poor workmanship in the wiring between the new fibre cabinet and the nearby old cabinet. I was then told that I would have to wait till Monday for someone to repair the wiring in the cabinet before I could have any internet access. I phoned BT helpline again, was shunted to India and elsewhere, and was left on hold for some 20 minutes. In the meantime the Openreach engineer fiddled around with the cabinet again and when he returned announced he had managed to get a working signal after all. He connected the modem and HH3 hub...no blue broadband light! He then returned to the cabinet to swap round the wires and that did the trick... three blue lights and away it went! I now hope and pray that whoever refurbishes the dodgy cabinet wiring on Monday does not mess up my connection again.

A saga of incompetency from BT, sadly. I would rate this experience 2/10.

0 Ratings
PC
Recognised Expert
Message 6 of 15

I am glad your installed.... and fingers crossed it stays that way.

If when using wireless you run a speedtest http://www.speedtest.net/ and notice a download of around 20Mbps then it may be because your using wireless g. (Assuming your IP is more than 20Mbps).

To get the best speed from Infinity you need WIRELESS n.

I use USB wireless n adapter mentioned in THIS POST and if you scroll down a bit you'll see the difference in wireless g and n speed tests.

To find out your IP run the FTTC Diagnostic http://www.speedtester.bt.com/ when WIRED.

It will give you your Internet Profile IP setting that the exchange (DLM) equipment has set you on. May change as it settles in.

Example of the result in THIS  Infinity Post.

Btw make sure you leave the Modem and Router on for the 10 day settling in period.
I leave mine on all the time, except for hols.
If the Modem gets turned off too often then it can cause the Dynamic Line Monitor to think there is a line problem.
It may then reduce the IP... slowing the broadband speed in an attempt to provide a reliable service.

--------------------------------------------//--------------------------------------------
Please Click On any Text in Blue as that automatically links to information.

PC (NDEGR)

0 Ratings
alexuk2
Aspiring Contributor
Message 7 of 15

PC, thank you for your reply.

I am using a wired ethernet cable, not wireless.

I ran the test at http://www.speedtester.bt.com/ and it gives the following results:

Download speed 34482Kbps   IP Profile 38714Kbps

Upload speed 1625Kbps    IP Profile 2000Kbps  (which is correct for Infinity Option 1)

I appreciate these are very good figures, but I am confused by the result from the http://www.speedtest.net/ test which shows a download speed of 20630Kbps. Why the difference of some 18000Kbps? Which is the correct figure?

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 15

the bt speed test it the correct one
0 Ratings
alexuk2
Aspiring Contributor
Message 9 of 15

Anyone know why there is such a discrepancy between the results of different online speed tests?

0 Ratings
Nige32
Aspiring Expert
Message 10 of 15

Hi

The simple answer is that that your speed online will fluctuate moment to moment so when you run a speed test it will capture the speed at that minute, that also takes into consideration the time off day and how congested the Internet is at that time.

Plus you can select different servers from speedtest.net, so again you will more then likely see a different result each time you run it.  If you change locations off the servers to run the test, or even if you run the same server each time you may see a change in the speed.

Also some antivirus/ Internet security software can affect the results.

Its hard to say which speed tester gives the most accurate results, bt's speed tester is ok I guess the results I get from it are consistent.

I have run almost each day(when I remember to do it)  for the last 5 months and the results are all pretty close, if however I want to see the results run a bit higher then I use speedtest.net 

0 Ratings