cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
3ch0
Aspiring Contributor
Message 11 of 22

Re: Fair Usage - 24 Hour Throttling

Well, it's really hit the fan today. I'm barely getting dial-up speeds now, BT explains to me that it's a line fault, an engineer is being sent out tomorrow to fix hopefully. Here's some stats i took.

VPI/VCI 0/38

Type PPPoA

Modulation ITU-T G.992.1

Latency type Interleaved

Noise margin (Down/Up) 9.1 dB / 8.0 dB

Line attenuation (Down/Up) 15.0 dB / 7.5 dB

Output power (Down/Up) 17.8 dBm / 12.5 dBm

Loss of Framing (Local) 204

Loss of Signal (Local) 83

Loss of Power (Local) 0

FEC Errors (Down/Up) 64 / 8

CRC Errors (Down/Up) 21 / 2147480000

HEC Errors (Down/Up) nil / 2

Error Seconds (Local) 94

0 Ratings
chris6273
Recognised Expert
Message 12 of 22

@3ch0 wrote:

The below mentioned speeds are a fraction of what i am accustomed to.

Download speedachieved during the test was - 1819 Kbps
 For your connection, the acceptable range of speeds is 400-2000 Kbps.
 Additional Information:
 Your DSL Connection Rate :2816 Kbps(DOWN-STREAM), 320 Kbps(UP-STREAM)
 IP Profile for your line is - 2000 Kbps

Download speedachieved during the test was - 1246 Kbps
 For your connection, the acceptable range of speeds is 576-600 Kbps.
 Additional Information:
 Assured Rate IP profile on your line is - 600 Kbps

ADSL line status

Line stateConnected
Connection time

2 days, 17:09:20

Downstream2,816 Kbps
Upstream320 Kbps
VPI/VCI0/38
TypePPPoA
ModulationITU-T G.992.1
Latency typeInterleaved
Noise margin (Down/Up)21.8 dB / 8.0 dB
Line attenuation (Down/Up)15.0 dB / 7.0 dB
Output power (Down/Up)17.8 dBm / 12.3 dBm
Loss of Framing (Local)30
Loss of Signal (Local)2
Loss of Power (Local)0
FEC Errors (Down/Up)478 / 297
CRC Errors (Down/Up)0 / 2147480000
HEC Errors (Down/Up)nil / 196
Error Seconds (Local)30

I know this thread has been open since friday but I'd thought I'd say something in regard to your problem.
If you are being throttled, the Sync speed "Your DSL Connection Rate" will remain the same but your IP Profile will drop to a fixed 1mbps. As you are getting more than 1mbps it is unlikely that it is BT Throttling you. As others have stated it is more than likely a noise margin issue that Mods can take care of resetting if requested.
Good luck 🙂

Like this post? Give it a Star :D. If this post answers your question, please Mark it as the Accepted Solution.
0 Ratings
3ch0
Aspiring Contributor
Message 13 of 22

Well, it appears im not being capped as far as BT tell me. I've had 2 engineer callouts to my home, the first fixed a problem on my line socket which caused my connection to go dead completely but when that was fixed i was back to square one with them. Another engineer was sent out to check my line, he reported no problems from my end so that left the problem lies at the exchange/distribution point.

Today i had that problem fixed for 3 hours before failing and yet AGAIN returning to a deprecated DSL speed exactly as it was when i started this thread. The whole situation is a bad joke which im unwilling to spend anymore time and money for, i want my MAC code to move to another provider.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
dodgy368
Contributor
Message 14 of 22

3ch0, the problem will be the same with another provider unless you get cable, the fault is on the bt line which only they can fix.
0 Ratings
3ch0
Aspiring Contributor
Message 15 of 22

There is one thing though, i asked them specifically to enable interleaving on my line which they did do (took a while to explain). It was enabled until today at 4pm when my line speed dropped, i noticed in my router adsl config, the latency had been changed to FAST. I don't understand why they would change it, it's no coincidence as soon as it had been changed to Fast my line speed dropped to a third of my standard bandwidth.

I do play games on my PS3 and i know having Fast lowers my ping but having it enabled across a long noisy line isnt advisable which is why i had interleaving enabled to obtain maximum throughput.

0 Ratings
Ian1957
Aspiring Expert
Message 16 of 22

Hi 3ch0,

first, do you have a BT Accelerator? If not, go to this link http://www.productsandservices.bt.com/consumerProducts/displayTopic.do?topicId=25075&s_intcid=con_in..., and input the required info. If it turns out you could benefit from it, order one for free (£1.20 p&p). This should lower your noise level.

I also have some other advice for you. Looking at your router stats you are connected on the old adsl line service. Check on here http://www.samknows.com/broadband/exchange_search and see if your exchange has been upgraded for 21CN WBC. If it has then you should be able to request a free line upgrade to adsl2 or 2+. I would advise 2+ because you are very close to your exchange and so should be able to receive speeds over 10mb.

Also, which socket are you attached to? The master socket or an extension?

0 Ratings
3ch0
Aspiring Contributor
Message 17 of 22

Hello Ian1957, firstly I do have a BT Broadband Accelerator, there is only a slight noise reduction but it's nothing significant.
Secondly, my exchange has not been upgraded to 21CN WBC unfortunately but they have installed FTTC, I'm unsure if it's active as of yet.
Thirdly, my router is attached to the master socket.
I also apologise for any spelling mistakes I have made, I'm using my iPhone 4 16gb.

Thanks for your assistance. 🙂
0 Ratings
Ian1957
Aspiring Expert
Message 18 of 22

Have you tried doing the line test? You ring a number then select option 2 and then you listen for any noise. I can't remember the number right now so I'll post back when I find it again. Also, add my PSN, Nathan-_-Mallett I play my PS3 quite a lot 😜
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 19 of 22

number is 17070 and option 2

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Ian1957
Aspiring Expert
Message 20 of 22

Thanks Jolly, I was just routing through the threads I've posted on for that, haha
0 Ratings