cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Mary999
Message 1 of 12

Fair Useage Policy - email received re. exceeded usage

Help

I have just spent 3 hours on the phone over the last two days trying to sort this out. We are on Option 1. Yesterday we received an email stating that we had used 7GB of our 10GB usage and that we would be charged if we exceeded the agreement. However, when I rang, about an hour later, I was told that we had used 11.2 GB and that we had exceeded the fair usage policy. We don't game, download films etc., and our general usage is apparently about 1GB.I have spoken to numerous people at BT, the last one, from the BT technical team, told me that he didn't have a message that said we had exceeded our usage and not to worry. He said that he had spoken to 7 people all of whom he had reassumed. I'm really unhappy about this and very worried that someone has accessed our broadband. I have checked everything and can't see any other system on our broadband network and everything is passworded.

I note that other people have had this problem. I cannot understand how BT staff do not seem to appreciate how worrying this is for customers.

0 Ratings
11 REPLIES 11
Message 2 of 12

Re: Fair Useage Policy - email received re. exceeded usage

Hi Mary999,

Welcome to the forum and thanks for posting. I can check what's going on with the account if you wish. Drop me an email with the details and a link to this thread for reference. You'll find the address in my profile.

Cheers

David

0 Ratings
hamish72
Recognised Expert
Message 3 of 12

Worth installing a bandwidth monitor to show real time activity

I found a security program recommended by many web banks was continuously transmitting up and down as long as the Pc was connected a few Gig every day

If any post helps tick the star box on the left
Just cause Im paranoid dont mean they are not out to get me

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 4 of 12

@Mary999 wrote:

Help

I have just spent 3 hours on the phone over the last two days trying to sort this out. We are on Option 1. Yesterday we received an email stating that we had used 7GB of our 10GB usage and that we would be charged if we exceeded the agreement. However, when I rang, about an hour later, I was told that we had used 11.2 GB and that we had exceeded the fair usage policy. We don't game, download films etc., and our general usage is apparently about 1GB.I have spoken to numerous people at BT, the last one, from the BT technical team, told me that he didn't have a message that said we had exceeded our usage and not to worry. He said that he had spoken to 7 people all of whom he had reassumed. I'm really unhappy about this and very worried that someone has accessed our broadband. I have checked everything and can't see any other system on our broadband network and everything is passworded.

I note that other people have had this problem. I cannot understand how BT staff do not seem to appreciate how worrying this is for customers.

Hi. Welcome to the forums.

May I ask if you use Facebook or Spotify ? The former can use a few 100 MB per day depending on application, and the latter is a p2p system which will utilise your connection for "sharing" purposes.

Have you checked the online usage meter (a couple of ways to access it is via my shortcuts option 14d & 14e) - to see what figure is showing ?

The problem with the 7GB email is that it unfortunately doesn't really give any extra useful information about when the figure was breached or by how much.

Hopefully DavidM can get to the bottom of the problem (and based on the info the tech. chappy gave you), it might turn up a generic problem somewhere which may also help with the other recent reports of higher than expected usage figures.

To be honest it's not impossible for someone to piggyback onto a broadband connection if they know the passwords and access etc, however this is probably not very likely in the vast majority of cases.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 5 of 12

@hamish72 wrote:

I found a security program recommended by many web banks was continuously transmitting up and down as long as the Pc was connected a few Gig every day

Hi Hamish.

Can you give some details about this security program ?

(notwithstanding that it would still show in the usage by local pc programs and the hub stats).

0 Ratings
dw2011
Beginner
Message 6 of 12

I have had a similar problem as well. I'm on Option 1 (10GB monthly allowance). We have a laptop and a desktop with no P2P, no X-Box, no I-phone, no downloading films, no torrents etc (you get the idea). We use the internet for email, for my work (downloading the odd pdf and general research - not enough to warrant huge downloads) and to watch the BBC iplayer in low quality once a week (if that). Usage in: Oct'10 - 6.17GB Nov'10 - 7.96GB Dec'10 - 9.36GB (got a bit close there!) Then, on 15th Jan'11 get an email stating that I was over 7GB and was getting close to monthly allowance. Fair enough I thought, though I did think it was odd considering we were only half way through the month. Checked the BT usage meter and I was now 42.16GB (32.16GB over allowance)!!! (This was on 16Jan'11 at 23:59) Jan'11 currently stands at 43.58GB and counting. You can see the massive difference in usage and the huge discrepancy compared to previous months. I've been back and forth on the phone with BT trying to sort this out because I loath to pay for something I haven't done! I'm told that someone could have hacked into the wireless network but I doubt this very much as I'm quite security conscious. I’ve installed a network meter (thinkbroadbandmeter) and every day seems to tally up with BT but unfortunately I only installed the meter after the usage spike event so I have no data to back my position. Where do I stand, and can I claim any money back? (the bill isn’t paid yet as we are not at the end of the month)
0 Ratings
AA99
Contributor
Message 7 of 12

received an email stating that we had used 7GB of our 10GB usage and that we would be charged if we exceeded the agreement

I think every single BT customer must have had one of those emails!  Seems to be their word against ours, we are told to look at the useage monitor, all it tells you is if you are over or within your 'limit', no proof as to how it is used?!

0 Ratings
hamish72
Recognised Expert
Message 8 of 12

@Andy_N wrote:

@hamish72 wrote:

Hi Hamish.

(notwithstanding that it would still show in the usage by local pc programs and the hub stats).

Trusteer Rapport     they claimed it was a known problem with an early version and gave me the latest which instantly prevented any browser from running they all crashed immediately so I stopped trying to use the program

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 9 of 12

@hamish72 wrote:

@Andy_N wrote:

@hamish72 wrote:

Hi Hamish.

Trusteer Rapport     they claimed it was a known problem with an early version and gave me the latest which instantly prevented any browser from running they all crashed immediately so I stopped trying to use the program

Trusteer Rapport is running in my Firefox browser without problem, and nothing is particularly showing as using the connecting to the extent of at least 40MB per hour for even to get 1GB use per day. I assume it has changed over time ...

0 Ratings
hamish72
Recognised Expert
Message 10 of 12

Off topic but google shows many browser problems though not the trafic problems it gave me

0 Ratings