Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ukoberon1
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 7

Family Sim Set up and access to BT Hotspots

Go to solution

Recently moved my mobile to BT Family Sim and added another member of the family. Both of us have new sims from BT

Have registered them fine and both are up and running.

Heres my issues:

1. In order to allow my family member to have control over their sim I gave full access for their mobile sim - what i didnt expect is that on giving this full access they also get full visibility of all my bt account and whilst they cannot make many changes they can access bank account details and see billing for the other items. I expected they would only be able to see the sim account and not my complete account .

2. In order to minimise wasted use of the data allowance I was expecting that we could set up the  BT Wi-Fi app on my family members mobile phone using their newly created BT ID (The ID created for managing their Sim but which gives too much access) to access BT Hotspots when they are near by . On using this ID the BT Wi-FI app wont allow them to log in and on raising this with the online chat help i have been told that only the main account holder can access BT Hot SPots and i would need to use the main account holders details - this seems crazy that i would have to give my username and password as the main account holder to allow the family member to access BT Hotspots - this kind of undermines the whole security.

With 1 and 2 above im really regretting moving over to BT Mobile Family Sim - it cannot be right that you have to give your kids full visibility of the Main BT account to allow them the responsibility of managing their Sim . It also cant be right that i have to disclose usernam and password as the main account holder for them to access BT Hotspots?

Any help or advice would be great.

thanks

0 Ratings
6 REPLIES 6
NeilO
Message 2 of 7

Re: Family Sim Set up and access to BT Hotspots

Go to solution

@ukoberon1 welcome to the forum and thanks for posting. You need to choose the 'some control option' to ensure that all your account information is not visible and the BT ID can also be used to access BT Wifi.  

Check out this link for more info on how you can give someone control of a family sim.

0 Ratings
ukoberon1
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 7

Go to solution

@NeilOthanks for taking the time to reply - im still awaiting the call back from my complaint to BT raised on Saturday via online chat and which i was told i would get a call Sunday - at least you replied on here....

So I have done what you said and selected the "some Control option" - this resulted in the ability to link the acount and when signing in as my family member it asked for the BT Account number  - so i entered this and then it asked for the phone number - so i entered my family members mobile number. On completion i was once agai presented with full account details including the last Bill paid , download the full BT phone Bill, access my direct debit payment arrangements etc.

In regard to the BT App i then put my family members registered user name and password in. The message displayed then says "BT ID problem" "Theres something stopping the app using your BT ID to log in. Log in to My BT on bt.com to find out more."

Im then given the option of going to bt.com or canceling.

0 Ratings
NeilO
Message 4 of 7

Go to solution

@ukoberon1 I'm sorry they haven't replied yet. This sounds like a problem that we'll need to raise with the bt.com faults team. Please use the 'click here to contact the mods' link in my forum profile to send in your details and we'll get this investigated further. You can find the link by clicking on my username.

Thanks

Neil

0 Ratings
ukoberon1
Aspiring Contributor
Message 5 of 7

Go to solution

@NeilO

Ok - will do thanks.

0 Ratings
ukoberon1
Aspiring Contributor
Message 6 of 7

Go to solution
Just an update that this matter is still not resolved .
0 Ratings
DavidM
Message 7 of 7

Go to solution

Hi @ukoberon1,

Thanks for taking my call today, nice speaking with you. I'm glad you were able to sort this out yourself. It sounds like the older email account was linked to the BTID which was then causing issues with accessing the account details. In regards to moving / adding the email address please take a look at Move e-mail to a different account, in particular the BT Email Management page linked in @DanielS post. @RobbieMac will be in touch on Saturday to follow up.

Cheers

David

0 Ratings