Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
nigel500
Beginner
Message 1 of 6

Fast wi-fi but extremely slow wired broadband

Bit of a strange one here.

Forthe last 24 hours have had ridiculously slow connection via a wired ethernet connection on my PC, yet my wi-fi connection on my laptop, phone etc is still working at top speed.

Any ideas why this might be and what I can do to solve it?

0 Ratings
5 REPLIES 5
conrad
Recognised Expert
Message 2 of 6

Re: Fast wi-fi but extremely slow wired broadband

1. Try a different port on the hub. Could be a failure on the port but check 2. below as well

2. Try a different cable.

If the cable doesn't help and neither does changing the port then the hub is probably faulty - if you are within a contract ring up BT to ask for a replacement which will be free.

It is also possible that the PC may have suffered a port failure as well .

0 Ratings
conrad
Recognised Expert
Message 3 of 6

Could be a port failure on the hub or PC, or the cable has failed.

Connect the cable to a different port on the hub. Change the cable if that doesn't help. If still no luck then the hub is probably faulty but you may need to rule out a PC failure of sorts.

If it's the hub and you are in a contract then ring BT to request a replacement which will be free.

0 Ratings
conrad
Recognised Expert
Message 4 of 6

It could be a failed port on the hub or PC or a cable failure.

Try a different port on the hub then a different cable - if no luck then the hub could be faulty but you will need to rule out the possibility of a failure with the PC.

If it's the hub ring BT and ask for a replacement - if you are in a contract then it will be free.

0 Ratings
conrad
Recognised Expert
Message 5 of 6

Could be a failed port on the hub or the PC, possibly a cable failure.

Switch to a different port on the hub , then try a new cable if that doesn't work. If both those fail then the PC may be at fault but it could well be a faulty hub. Ring BT for a replacement which will be free if you are under contract.

0 Ratings
imjolly
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 6

I would also check that the driver for your pc network card is up to date from card manufacturer and not rely on windows update

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings