cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
BarryCook
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 10

Faster BB but slower browsing/downloading?

Hi there, I'm just wondering if I have some settings wrong, my BB has gone from adsl to adsl2 and my speed from around 4mb to now nearly 9mb but I notice no difference, my time on the PC I mainly use for on line gaming and I see no improvement there or when im normally browsing web sites, I swear my net worked faster when I had an ip profile of 7150 and a sync speed of 8100, I don't know a lot about computers so is there maybe something I'm doing wrong?

0 Ratings
9 REPLIES 9
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 10

Re: Faster BB but slower browsing/downloading?

can your run btspeedtester and post the results please

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
raymie67
Expert
Message 3 of 10

If you post the ADSL stats from your router/hub and the results from the BT speedtester web site then someone will probably be able to shed some light on it for you.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If my post was helpful then please click on the Ratings star on the left-hand side If the the reply answers your question fully then please select ’Mark as Accepted Solution’
0 Ratings
BarryCook
Aspiring Contributor
Message 4 of 10

I didnt realise im logged into my Dads forum acc here lol, you gave him some help the weekend imjolly, he was very impressed, anyway i may as well stay on his now but here is mt speed test and router stats.

Test1 comprises of two tests

1. Best Effort Test: -provides background information.

Download  Speed
 8279 Kbps

0 Kbps21000 Kbps
Max Achievable Speed
Download speedachieved
during the test was - 8279 Kbps
For your connection, the acceptable
range of speeds is 4000-21000
Kbps
Additional Information:
Your DSL Connection Rate
:12188 Kbps(DOWN-STREAM), 612 Kbps(UP-STREAM)
IP Profile for
your line is - 10000 Kbps

2. Upstream
Test: -provides background information.

Upload Speed
 464 Kbps

0 Kbps

612 Kbps
Max Achievable Speed

0 Ratings
BarryCook
Aspiring Contributor
Message 5 of 10

Line stateConnected
<script type="text/javascript">// function p_ajax_adsl_status() { ajax_download_start('adsl_status=1', p_ajax_adsl_status_cb); } function p_ajax_adsl_status_cb(xml) { if (document.getElementById('adsl_status').innerHTML != xml) { document.getElementById('adsl_status').innerHTML = xml; mimic_button('submit_button_ajax_refresh', 1); } else setTimeout('p_ajax_adsl_status()', 5000); } setTimeout('p_ajax_adsl_status()', 5000); // </script>
Connection time3 days,
21:48:15
Downstream12,190 Kbps
Upstream612
Kbps

ADSL Settings
VPI/VCI0/38
TypePPPoA
ModulationG.992.5 Annex
A
Latency typeInterleaved
Noise margin
(Down/Up)
2.4 dB / 11.9
dB
Line attenuation
(Down/Up)
42.1 dB / 22.1
dB
Output power
(Down/Up)
18.2 dBm / 1.5
dBm
Loss of Framing
(Local/Remote)
0 / 0
Loss of Signal
(Local/Remote)
0 / 0
Loss of Power
(Local/Remote)
0 / 0
FEC Errors
(Down/Up)
6757 / 81025
CRC Errors
(Down/Up)
19355 /
HEC Errors
(Down/Up)
178688 / 0
Error Seconds
(Local/Remote)
9968 / 8722
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 10

flattery will get you everywhere lolSmiley Very Happy

you have a 12mb connection with the correct 10000 profile anf throughput/download looks fine

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
BarryCook
Aspiring Contributor
Message 7 of 10

lol, well he was. yep i agree, it all looks great and i dont have any probs with it apart from the odd dropped connection but i expected to at least see a difference in spped from the increase.

0 Ratings
raymie67
Expert
Message 8 of 10

run the speedtester again a few times during the evening to see if there is a contention issue at your exchange but barring that you have a good connection and it seems to be working as fast as it should.

Web browsing will probably not improve much with speed above a certain point unless the site is very graphic or video intensive so you will not see much difference there and games sites may depend on their connectivity and routing more then siiply just your speed.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If my post was helpful then please click on the Ratings star on the left-hand side If the the reply answers your question fully then please select ’Mark as Accepted Solution’
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 9 of 10

you should see some increase in speed particularly if you downloading on usenet which would give max speed.  my guess would be old profile download  max about 890 but new profile about 1200

0 Ratings
BarryCook
Aspiring Contributor
Message 10 of 10

ok guys, thank you both very much, thats put my mind at rest at least, i thought id got something clicked or checked that was holding it back

0 Ratings