cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
eskdale
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 9

Fault Repair Promised time Come and Gone - How do you work from Home?

My Telephone line went faulty at the beginning of last week - The promised repair time was on or before the 17:00 the 15th of February.  I work from home in the countryside in IT where I support hospitals and Opticians around the world.  I could cope without the normal telephone although inconvenient but can't work without broadband.  I've now been told I will get an update on the 23rd February.  Not that it will be fixed just that I will get an update.  This is totally unacceptable service but we have no alternative to Open Reach.  My Line is with BT but if I change to someone else it will still be with Openreach although some i've just been talking to promise that they would progress the fault more forcefully than BT seem to be.

If I had some confidence that they had even properly investigated / diagnosed the fault I would be happier.  The line has no Dial Tone just a buzzing sound but if someone calls me it does ring but I can't answer it.  Being a Hardware/Software engineer I wouldn't mind putting some money on it being a high resistance joint.  Another user in the same premises as myself have their line working so it can't be a complete cable failure as BT are telling me.  My mobile needs the WiFi to get a signal so that is an issue as well.  I have to stand in the garden to get a signal - not really practical in the rain!!  How do you get some sense? and guarantees that they are working on it?  Jon

0 Ratings
8 REPLIES 8
john46
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 9

Re: Fault Repair Promised time Come and Gone - How do you work from Home?

Are you a residential or Business customer ?

the delay sounds like a major cable fault which can fall outside the normal 3 working days as possible road closures may be needed to carry out the work and this can take time when they have to deal with local authorities Is anything showing here for your exchange http://usertools.plus.net/exchanges/mso.php

http://usertools.plus.net/exchanges/?

http://btbusiness.custhelp.com/app/service_status

http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/15036
0 Ratings
eskdale
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 9

Hi - Thanks -  I'm a residential customer - the company I work for was sold and the new owners closed the office and made nearly all staff redundant.  So I currently work from home.

There is no mention of my exchange "Whitecroft" in any of the links.  The last one says

Service status in your area

See any recognised faults in your area that may be affecting your BT line

• Phone Everything seems OK

What I don't understand is if its a major cable how have they determined that .  To me it appears to be a high resistance fault but they have not visited the premises and there is still a connection although not good enough for use.  If they had found the faulty joint it would probably have failed altogether or got better.  I am in the country but the cable is all underground.  There are only 2 lines in use on the last 1 km.  The other persons is working, so the cable is OK - agree a pair may be faulty but there must me more than 2 pairs in the cable are all but one faulty? seems unlikely.  They come from a cabinet that was upgraded to FTCC about 18months ago.  This cabinet is not far from the exchange about 0.75 km 

So I hope you can understand why I find it hard to understand.

Jon

0 Ratings
john46
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 9

quite often in rural areas there is a shortage of spare pairs so much so that in the past lines have been using DACS to provide connections and those line are unable to have broadband services activated on them
0 Ratings
Devon_Dave
Distinguished Guru
Message 5 of 9

can you get a btwifi signal from your premises other than your own (assume you not opted out? ) if so you could you use that for the interim.
(If I have helped you in any way please click the thumbs up. Thank You)
If I have solved your Issue please click the "Mark as accepted solution" button.
0 Ratings
eskdale
Aspiring Contributor
Message 6 of 9

Thanks for the reply John.  But if Openreach are going to be allowed to operate as a monopoly then they must be made more accountable and open - I did read another post on the forum which I thought was very apt that described Openreach as not Open and not Reachable which I totally agree with.  All you can do is talk to some man in India who reads a script that tells me its a complicated fault and that is what the experts say. With no promises of when it will be fixed and only a promise that he will update me on the progress in a weeks time.  If there was open communication someone could tell me where the fault was, what was needed to fix it together with a reason why some temporary fix is not possible perhaps.

Assuming they think the problem is in the last leg. Being just under a Kilometer from the nearest other property except the adjacent one.  I doubt the line back to the distribution point has less than 4 pairs in it.  So what has happened to at least the other 2 - have they tried them?  

I can see next week coming and all I'm going to be told is the same again.  In the mean time without the phoneline (maybe unnecessarily)

Jon

0 Ratings
eskdale
Aspiring Contributor
Message 7 of 9

Thanks - for the idea Dave but now where I am there is only one adjacent user and they are with EE.  Although that would have helped in some areas.  My link to the head office requires a fixed IP address for security reasons.

0 Ratings
eskdale
Aspiring Contributor
Message 8 of 9

Have the line working now after a couple of weeks without phone Broadband or mobile.  

Why do they lie to you?  On chasing BT they told me fault was a complicated fault and would require  traffic management and needed 170 metre of cable replacing.  As the line was connected to my house alarm the house alarm went off this morning so I guessed they may be working on it.  Drove up the road to find a Openreach engineer.  He said he was working on my fault and would have it done in 20 mins just patching through on a different pair.  They could have done this a couple of weeks ago rather than lying to me.

0 Ratings
eskdale
Aspiring Contributor
Message 9 of 9

Further update:-

Just had a call from BT India - He says I've just checked the status of your fault with the team.  He tells me this is a complicated fault and requires traffic management which he then tells me the council have approved for a few days time.  He  tells me that he will update me on the status next week!!

I then told him that the fault was fixed this morning about 4 hours ago.  Which is not according to his records - he said it must be a temporary fix.  I personally spoke to the engineer at the roadside cabinet and no way did he think it was a temporary fix and he phoned me from the exchange to say it was all fixed.

There is no way you can believe the Indian support desk.  This all confirms exactly what I said on day one that it could have been fixed when it was reported rather than a couple of weeks later, and massive issues it has posed myself.

0 Ratings