Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
carol1
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 19

Fault not resolved

Go to solution

I have not had a landline since December 20th. It is completely dead. Broadband is slow but working. Not having a working phone is particulalry difficult at this time of year but being advised three times that the fault is fixed (no sign of an engineer on the two occasions expected) and explaining - several times - that when the house number is dialled it is now connected to a house nearby (who also have not had an engineer visit today) is hugely frustrating.

The website seems to block reporting. Customer services are pleasant but seem powerless.

Why does the engineer "fix" not include checking a response from the number dialled? Or calling at the house to check that the line is ACTUALLY working?

0 Ratings
18 REPLIES 18
iniltous
Recognised Expert
Message 2 of 19

Re: Fault not resolved

Go to solution
Unfortunately BT will test the line , if it tests ok, they close the fault, without checking with you..if your line is thru to the wrong address, the tester doesn't know that, you need to reopen the fault , I believe you can do this on line, when it says is the line fixed ? you say no, irrespective of what their test result is
0 Ratings
nick_london
Contributor
Message 3 of 19

Go to solution
Sounds as if there is a fault at the exchange or at the cabinet in the street. I bet your line is engaged when you call it??? The fault testing service will reveal no fault in this case.

You can reopen the fault by calling 0800800151 or 151 from a BT Payphone. Calls from a mobile are now free and calls to 0800 numbers and 151 from payphones are also free.

Also do you have extension sockets or anything else plugged in on the line? If so remove them and then try the phone again. If your phone works after this then it is a fault with one or more pieces of your equipment. Plug everything back in one by one to identify the faulty equipment.

You will need to do these checks because if they send out an engineer and turns out to be your equipment that is faulty, you will incur a very big charge.
0 Ratings
carol1
Aspiring Contributor
Message 4 of 19

Go to solution

When I dial my number from a mobile I get the nice man in the next road. Who has also reported the fault and waited in.

i have reopened the fault three times ....explaining the above to various BT staff by phone and email.

the internal checks have been done. Equipment is fine.....but there is no phoneline.

thanks for comments.

0 Ratings
Andrew600
Contributor
Message 5 of 19

Go to solution

Carol,

l went through the same frustrations a month ago, so I sympathise, and can't understand why a quick courtesy call to check it is working is so difficult either!

Make sure BT have the fault logged as a crossed line and, if you can, give them the name, address and correct phone number for the "new" owner of your line as well as your details of course.

BT understanding the crossed line situation is crucial. If they don't understand they will close the fault yet again as the line will look fine to them.

Keep an eye on your bill. You will be charged for calls the guy in the next road has made. Ask for a refund. 

i hope you get it sorted soon.

0 Ratings
DavidM
Message 6 of 19
Moved:

Go to solution
0 Ratings
DavidM
Message 7 of 19

Go to solution

Hi carol1,

Welcome and thanks for posting. I’m sorry the fault has been going on for so long. I’m sure I can get this sorted for you. Can you please drop me an email with your details? You’ll get the contact the mods link in my profile. If you can include the details mentioned by @Andrew600 it should help get a resolution as soon as possible.

Cheers

David

0 Ratings
carol1
Aspiring Contributor
Message 8 of 19

Re: Fault still not resolved

Go to solution

Phone (014*******) and broadband went down on Dec 20th. (Did all the home tests before reporting). Received a call to mobile within a couple of days to say fault had been resolved. But by now there was slow and erratic broadband but still no phone line. Reported this with difficulty and was advised of engineer's appointment (am and pm on Dec 31st)  but discovered that callers were being connected to another local number (014*******). By dialling my own number on mobile I too was connected to a man who was also being told that his faults were resolved. Put these details in writing as a complaint. No engineer came, but I was advised twice that the fault had been resolved on Dec 31st. Long frustrating call and more complaints (BT website will not take Fault resolved information).

0 Ratings
carol1
Aspiring Contributor
Message 9 of 19

Go to solution

I have not reached the correct link....

0 Ratings
carol1
Aspiring Contributor
Message 10 of 19