cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Oujmik
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 10

Fault solved but BB now painfully slow

I'm a new Infinity customer, BT have only recently activated it in my area and I know it's not at full speed (checker saoid I could expect around 25Mbps on my 38Mbps product).

When it was first actuvated I ran the official BT speed test and got 20Mbps but then shortly after the connection started dropping out (orange light, flashing red b etc). I called BT and they logged it as a fault and they seem to have resolved it - my light is now blue all day. However my speeds are awful - 1-2Mb during peak times and 6-10 off-peak. Also weirdly the official BT speed tester no longer recogonises my phone number (so the latest numbers are from speedtest.net).

The situation is the same wired or wifi, various devices etc. I've already contacted BT via twitter, but thought I'd try the community too.

0 Ratings
9 REPLIES 9
john46
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 10

Re: Fault solved but BB now painfully slow

you need an engineer visit to carry out a line reset
0 Ratings
imjolly
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 10

was this self install or engineer?

if new csutomer then get engineer to fix problem and then reset connection

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Oujmik
Aspiring Contributor
Message 4 of 10

Spoke too soon, the original fault is back! Hub disconnects continually. In my old place 5 miles away I had flawless 100Mb Virgin Media fibre... I'd be better off with a 5 mile long ethernet cable than I am with BT right now. 

0 Ratings
john46
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 10

Can you run this checker and post back a screen shot of the results

http://www.dslchecker.bt.com/adsl/adslchecker.welcome

and use this speed tester then carry out the further diagnostics and post back a screen shot of all the results including your IP profile for up and down. This test must be done with a wired connection.

http://speedtest.btwholesale.com/

if you have a Homehub 5 can you also post the stats from 1-12 by logging onto the homehub management pages then troubleshooting > helpdesk. http://bthomehub.home/
Oujmik
Aspiring Contributor
Message 6 of 10

Thanks for those links, finally some useful diagnostics.

These tests were run during an 'OK' period when I was not having issues, although the speed is still pretty rubbish at 8-9Mb. This seems to be the normal speed of my connection now (the event logs show DSL sessions being established with a downlink speed of 9999kpbs). This is still way short of inifinity, but if it was constant and reliable it would be tolerable.

1. Product Name: HomeHub5

2. Serial number: +076286+1511009653

3. Firmware version: v0.07.03.0814-BT (Type B) Last updated [Unknown]

4. Board version: 01

5. VDSL uptime: 0 days, 00:31:54

6. Data Rate: 2000 / 8797

7. Maximum Data Rate: 6359 / 21959

8. Noise Margin: 16.1 / 17.6

9. Line Attenuation: 0.0 / 26.2

10. Signal Attenuation: 0.0 / 0.0

11. Data sent/received: 15.2 MB / 83.2 MB

12. Broadband username: bthomehub@btbroadband.comScreenshot 2015-07-11 12.27.05.pngScreenshot 2015-07-11 12.33.05.png

0 Ratings
john46
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 10

you need an engineer out as you have a line fault your noise margin is way to high giving you the low speeds
Message 8 of 10

Adding to john46's post, have you been resetting and/or restarting your router several times a day? This may have caused DLM to resync with the exchange several times and treat it as a line fault increasing noise margin to try and reduce line errors and/or reduce the amount of resyncs. You could wait for DLM but engineer visit sounds the best way to go.

0 Ratings
Oujmik
Aspiring Contributor
Message 9 of 10

Thanks, engineer booked. Will post back with results. I rarely reset the router - it doesn't help my issue.

0 Ratings
Oujmik
Aspiring Contributor
Message 10 of 10

Hmm, mixed results. Engineer tested speed at cabinet, got 25mb. He reset the line and replaced the socket and sure enough I got 22mb. Thus dropped a little to around 16 as peak time approached then... The orange light of doom!!! From about 8pm onwards all it has done is connect and immediately disconnect every 30 seconds (you can see DSL link up/down in the event log). Completely useless, I'm deeply frustrated right now. I know the connection is supposed to take a few days to settle but this doesn't seem right. Will be back on to BT if this recurs.
0 Ratings