cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 1 of 4

Faults, New Lines and Engineer Home Improvement Service

I've got a poor line. Noisy, crackles, terrible broadband speed. It was fine for the first 2 years after we moved here, but then everything went flakey in November.

The house has a lot of phone points. I assume they were not 'official' BT extensions, and would be out of warranty anyway.

The phone line test says that the line appears fine.

So I need to get this sorted. I'm assuming it is most likely a fault on our property, given the rather byzantine extensions we have, so I'm expecting to have to pay. The 'Engineer Home Improvement Service' is listed at £129.99

My question is this: is the quoted figure a maximum? Or is that a call out fee, and I could end up paying more than that?

Because if the latter, it would be cheaper for us to just get a second line installed, then cancel the first line when we're sure it works. Okay there's a small chance I'd have to pay nothing with a callout, but if there's a chance I have to pay much more, it isn't worth the risk.

Anyone know how this works?

0 Ratings
3 REPLIES 3
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 4

Re: Faults, New Lines and Engineer Home Improvement Service

That is a standard charge, and I think it covers the first hour. Its unlikely to take any longer, and its quite likely the master socket will be changed, if its an old one without a test socket.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 4

Do you have a NTE5 master socket and if so can you try the test socket and see if that helps. By connecting to test socket that should eliminate all your extensions unless some sockets are not wired back to master. test socket.jpg

This explains about home improvement http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/12439/c/

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 4 of 4

Do you have a NTE5 master socket

Unfortunately not, no the main box is an LJU. Thanks for the suggestion, but my question was on the Engineer Home Improvement Service pricing.

I think it covers the first hour. Its unlikely to take any longer

The 'I think' was the purpose of my query, really. I wonder if it's possible to get confirmation of it being a first-hour fee. Because the potential of it requiring more than one trip out or a longer time, makes it not worth the risk, when it is the same price for a second-line install.

0 Ratings