Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
torque57
Contributor
Message 1 of 8

Faulty/Substandard microfilter

Hello,

I've been having continued problems with the supplied microfilter on our Infinity 2 package. I discovered this as our connection has been randomly dropping and resyncing with a lower speed. Luckily one of the first things I checked was internal cabling - I did a quiet line test on the phone and noticed scratching, so I went and started poking about and noticed the scratching was obvious when I moved the microfilter.

This first happened a couple of months back but after unplugging and replugging the microfilter into the socket a few times the problem seemed to resolve, but it's now returned several times and is becoming a pain.

Would it be possible for you to send out the proper VDSL face plate with the built-in filter rather than put up with issues like this? We have the new tool-less master socket, called NTE5c I believe, but were only supplied with the standard phone connection. It was mounted unusually high on the wall and the weight of the microfilter and cables seems to be adding to the problem.

Thanks very much!

0 Ratings
7 REPLIES 7
gg30340
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 8

Re: Faulty/Substandard microfilter

This is a BT residential customer to customer forum. Your post does not go to BT. 

BT would not send out a face plate to you. If you want one you would need to buy one and fit it your self or if you want BT to fit it for you it would cost you £130 to have an engineer attend at your property.

You would be better to buy a new filter for about £2 and fit it your self or have a local electrician/comms fitter fit a new face plate for you.

0 Ratings
torque57
Contributor
Message 3 of 8

I've had helpful replies from forum mods before, hence my asking. I'm after a proper faceplate rather than another cheap microfilter - it seems you can buy them, but why would BT not replace equipment of negligible value they have supplied and has gone faulty?

I don't expect OR to come out and fit it obviously. I'm an electrican myself but either way, replacing a tool-free faceplate is hardly worth a visit.

Given the line was ordered specifically for VDSL, I expected OR would install the proper filtered faceplate, but due to a mess up with the appointment they thought they were there to only install a phone line, wouldn't provision the VDSL connection during the visit, and I was left without any broadband for another week or so at the time...

But anyway that's in the past. If you're certain BT won't touch this, is there anywhere you'd recommend ordering one of the new faceplates from? They're not available at wholesalers I use, nor from online sellers I recognise.

0 Ratings
john46
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 8

filtered faceplates are no longer fitted as VDSL is now a self install product they are only now fitted if there are any speed problems that need an Openreach Boost engineers visit
0 Ratings
pippincp
Sage
Message 5 of 8

@torque57 wrote:

But anyway that's in the past. If you're certain BT won't touch this, is there anywhere you'd recommend ordering one of the new faceplates from? They're not available at wholesalers I use, nor from online sellers I recognise.

Never heard of a well know online auction site?

0 Ratings
torque57
Contributor
Message 6 of 8

Fair enough, just wondered if there was somewhere a bit more 'official' to get them from.

Thanks anyway guys, looks like buying one will be the route I'll have to take!

0 Ratings
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 8

@torque57

These work very well and are more reliable than the Openreach ones.

LINDY VDSL2 Microfilter Faceplate £11.40

LINDY VDSL2 Microfilter Faceplate

If you have any extension wiring, there are terminals at the back to connect them to.

lindy rear.jpg

0 Ratings
torque57
Contributor
Message 8 of 8

We have the NTE5c, so without replacing the lot, I think only the standard Openreach one would fit?

0 Ratings