We reported a problem when we upgraded our broadband. This has been ongoing since 17th October. Last week our telephone line stopped working. We rang BT and carried out various tests. No fault was found on the line. BT say they will charge us £129.99 if the fault is within our boundary. We have only lived in this house for three years. All of the wiring looks like it has been here for a long time. If the fault is with this wiring why should we pay to have it repaired when we did not get new wiring when we signed up? We are also concerned about the coincidence of our landline having a fault whilst we have an ongoing complaint with BT.
Openreach are only responsible for the 'line' upto the master socket , anything else within your property is your responsibility, it's easy (if you have an NTE5 type master socket) to disconnect your 'internal' wiring, extension sockets etc, and test the line only, by removing the bottom section of the master socket , and plugging a known working phone into the test point and trying the line there
If you plug into the test point with a known working phone and get no service (no dialtone) you can report the line faulty confident that the advisory charge won't be raised, if you do report the line faulty when the line works fine in the test point, then obviously the charge would probably raised because you are saying the line is faulty when it obviously isn't, if the extension wiring,or the sockets, filters, router , sky box or anything else that may be plugged into the line is faulty and causing the line not to work, it's not Openreach that fixes that for free, if you want them to take a look, you know in advance how much it will cost
You ask why should you pay if your wiring is faulty, it's because it's your wiring , not Openreach's .
We tested the line by opening up the master socket, as BT instructed, and plugged in a known working phone (brand new BT 1200) and still get no dial done. When I rang "Customer Services" I was told that if there is a fault with the wiring within my property (ie. out to the BT point outside my garden wall), then we would be charged £129.99 - even if the fault is "frost damage". Your comment regarding the wiring makes no sense - are you saying the wiring outside which goes up our wall, along our guttering, then across to the pole, is ours?
As the BT mod has said, if no service at the test point, then almost certainly you don't get charged, so the rep you spoke to didn't explain properly, the only time you get charged for problems on OR's side of the master socket is 'damage' , not fair wear and tear, examples are, if you were on an underground feed, and digging your garden you cut the OR cable, that's damage not fair wear and tear so chargable, or on an overhead feed, getting new windows fitted, they damage the cable as it attaches to your house , that is damage not fair wear and tear, what they said about 'frost' is nonsense, I'm not sure why you think my comment makes no sense, as I said , leaving damage aside, everything upto the master socket is OR's responsibility, everything after the master socket is your responsibility, that's why you test at the master socket test point, by doing this you disconnect everything from the 'line' , then by trying the test point with a known working phone you know for sure if the line is faulty or not, in your case as it seems you have already done this and got no dialtone at the master socket test point, you can ignore the warning about potential charges and insist they raise a fault report for an engineer , what I said you are responsible for is any internal wiring that goes to extension sockets, or anything plugged into any of the sockets, like phones, broadband filters etc, you own that stuff so if it goes faulty it's not OR's problem , but yours
@WMPMelksham, To put your mind at rest, our experience with a faulty telephone line is;
Broadband worked, but was very slow, our phone was very noisy (crackling buzzing etc.)& no dial tone, we had very old (50 years plus) wiring for phones indoors and truthfully no proper 'master socket'.
The line outside went underground and was a 50 years plus rubbery cable with two copper wires in it and paper insulating the cables from damage, someone had tried to cut through the cable attached to the front of our property (but had not succeeded.) Underground I don't know about but it was obviously dodgy, the dampness from massive amounts of rain didn't do it any good.
I reported this fault to BT and they said blah blah I may have to pay 130 quid if it's down to my grotty wiring etc.
All my calls were camped onto my mobile phone so I would not be incommunicado, as I said I could still send emails etc.
Within a couple of weeks a contractor came and replaced the cable with an armoured modern cable - magic, a crystal clear line etc!
We were not charged for this work all credit to BT/Opernreach for giving us brilliantly clear calls and excellent fast broadband - no further problems at all for nearly four years now.
We have a proper 'master socket' now as we have Infinity Broadband - Superb! I paid for that, it would have cost me money to get the old wiring redone anyway.
I hope you get your line sorted out soon and you don't have any problems in the future, best regards.
So the engineer came out today. and it appears there is an unground fault. He said he was surprised we were receiving broadband but said to expect to lose that soon as well. So we won't be charged for the repair.
Broadband will work off one of the 'pair' of cables being OK, that's why you still have Broadband coverage at the mo. I hope it all works out well for you, best regards.