cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 10

Faulty phone socket after Infinity installation

I had Infinity installed on 14 June 2013.  The engineer first attempted to install it by making alterations to the phone sockets.  He then said we had 'too many' phone sockets for this to be done and used a different method of installation.  on 3 July I realised that one of the phone sockets that the engineer had worked on was dead.  I rang 0800 800 151 to report this and was told someone would call me back in 7 to 10 days.  No response.  Three weeks later I rang again and was told I had to wait 20 working days, but I was given a Case Ref and Fault Ref number.  After 22/23 working days with no response I rang again, and after an hour on the phone, including speaking to a supervisor, there was still no progress and no hint of when my phone socket might be mended.  Today I tried using the 'live chat' facility on the website, as a result of which I was advised to ring 0800 800 151.  Does anyone have any tips as to how I might resolve this?  I am beginning to feel that my only other option is to ring BT and ask for my Infinity to be removed - then they might want to know about my problem.

0 Ratings
9 REPLIES 9
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 10

Re: Faulty phone socket after Infinity installation

extensions are your responsibility not Openreach's

Openreach's responsibility ends at the master socket
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 10

The engineer has probably left a wire loose in the socket. If you are upto it you could always have a look and see if there is anything obvious.  The only other thing would be to ring as your were advised and after the obligatory getting the run around they might be able to organise an engineer to come out and repair the fault they caused.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 10

as john46 said extensions are responsibility of homeowner and you will probably end up with bill for £99 for callout

I would check the socket as sugegsted as there is probably a loose wire - the wires should be conencted to terminals 2 & 5 in the socket

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Message 5 of 10

Thanks for your response and I understand what you are saying.  However, the socket is faulty because of the engineer's poor workmanship.  That is not my responsibility and I believe BT should fix it for me.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 10

I appreciate what you say but normally the engineer often just disconnects the extension if causing problems with installation and leaves it that way.  I would just check to see if wire disconencted as I still think you will get billed for the callout.  you may after a fight and a lot of hassle get the charge deleted

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Aspiring Expert
Message 7 of 10

There must have been something strange about your telephone wiring in the first place.  If you had the standard type of master socket with the extensions wired to the faceplate of this socket then that presents no problems to the Openereach engineer.  So your telephone wiring must have been unorthodox or improper in some way.  

0 Ratings
Recognised Expert
Message 8 of 10

Its openreachs responsibility to make sure that all sockets work before and after the install is carried out unless their is some technical reason why its not possible to have a socket working the customer must be made aware of this and every effort made to make sure the customers wiring is not disrupted too much.

Saying there must have been something strange with the wiring in the first place is irrelevent and sounds like an openreach coverup lol. 

0 Ratings
Aspiring Expert
Message 9 of 10

Isn't the normal procedure to remove the faceplate from the Master Socket, insert a VDSL interstitial filter and then replace the faceplate?  Done in about 60 seconds and with no disruption to internal extension sockets.  Where this does not work is in houses where the extension wiring is too old to have used the wired-to-the-faceplate system (probably dating back to the days when you had to pay the GPO to install your extensions for you) or where the wiring has not been done correctly and the extensions tap in to the wires on the BT side of the Master Socket.     

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 10 of 10

correct however if the extensions are a cause of problems when using Infinity they are often left disconnected particularly if it is a contractor and not an Openreach engineer doing the install
0 Ratings