cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Busyline
Message 1 of 22

Fed-up of Nuisance sales promotion calls ?

I am probably not the first to be harassed by Graham Bell. However before I strangle myself with the telephone cord, could anybody help me switch of ' Nuisance Calls' from uninvited window salesmen.

I would be very graful, if BT could have an easy link for this task. My wife almost had an accident coming down the stairs to attend a phone call which turned out to be a sales call. How can I stop this ?

HELP PLEASE !

0 Ratings
21 REPLIES 21
neilmorgan
Expert
Message 2 of 22

Re: Fed-up of Nuisance sales promotion calls ?

The most effective way I found was from my son having a laugh with them when he was about 16.
Is that your house - yes
20 minutes of fairly honestly answered questions
Date of birth - incorrect date but correct year
But that means you're under 18.
yes
Clunk.
No more calls for months
I took a different approach
Is that your house
No
Are you the sole occupliers
No
Is your income over £15000
no
Cliunk
No more calls for about a year!!!
Message 3 of 22

Signing up with the Telephone Preference Service will considerably reduce the number of calls you receive. It doesn't cost anything.

It won't stop calls from overseas call centres, though.
Snoopius
Contributor
Message 4 of 22

I use the tps system but even that is not a total fix and oversea call still come through and some uk ones as well. I as have caller ID so i can choose to answer or not if i don't like the number showing.

StewartM
Contributor
Message 5 of 22

Busyline, try the TPS,

Or if a nuisance call

Stewart
DragonKhan
Contributor
Message 6 of 22

What no1 has mentiond is to also keep your number out the phone book, i have worked in a call center who get you to go through all the numbers in the book and also number ranges so even if you are on these services they are not 100% effective Smiley Sad

DK

Community Manager
Community Manager
Message 7 of 22

Hi Busyline,

Thanks for the post and welcome to the forum.  I know first hand what a pain these calls can be.  The advice given by the other forum users is good advise, TPS will help to a certain extent. 

If this doesn't help then 'Choose to Refuse' is another option open to you.

Choose to Refuse prevents unwanted or nuisance calls getting through to you.  If you frequently receive unwanted or nuisance calls from a particular number, you can block that number. And if you change your mind, you can lift the block whenever you like and allow the caller to contact you again.

Check on the link above for more info.

Cheers

Sean

0 Ratings
Dorset_Vinney
Aspiring Expert
Message 8 of 22

Hello is that Mr **** *****

who is calling please?

this is ******. We are interested blah blah

thank you. Could you spell the name of your company please?

(copy down slowly and laboriously with a couple of repeats)

We would like to .... blah blah

What is the full postal address of your company please...

laboriously copy it down requesting repeats (if they answer)

Can you give me a contact phone number please?

usually they won't answer this one

Are you members of the Direct Marketing Association...?

They usually don't know - (spell direct marketing slowly if necessary)

Did you know I am registered with the TPS?

That is the t...e...l...e...p...h...o...n...e...p...r...e...f...e....r...e....n...c.....e....s...e....r....v....i....c.....e.....

Clunk.

They key is not to let them wind you up. Have a little gentle fun instead. But remember they are paid poorly and have lousy working conditions. So don't swear at them.

The only difference between this unsolicited calling and unsolicited covert BTA on websites, is that at least unsolicited calling is visible and you know its happening.

Dorset Vinney - I speak up when I'm worried
Snoopius
Contributor
Message 9 of 22

One thing i'm finding really annoying it getting calls that show as 00000000000  or of late we have had calls showing as P i mean who the hell are they? 

I also hate getting the automated calls that also leave voice mail saying i have won a holiday or something.

David

Highlighted
Distinguished Guru
Message 10 of 22

Busyline.

All the advice given above works well.

I have done the following and this could be what you need to do:

Become ex directory-BT will sort this out. (You give your number out to who you want to know it).

Opt in to the TPS. Stops UK call centres.

Buy a set of cordless phones (so your Wife isn't likley to injure herself trying to answer the phone). Some come with a belt clip.

Request caller display. If you don't know the number or if it displays 'international' then don't answer it.

I have not opted for this based on cost but you could also opt for the 'Choose to refuse' but you have to nominate the phone numbers you want blocking. This I guess could be a pain if the unwanted callers kept using a different phone number.

-+-No longer a forum member-+-