cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ProntoSofI
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 57

Feeling Violated

We have a privately purchased Humax DTR T2000 youview box which when switched on yesterday morning showed it had been updated.

We now have a box which professes to be BT TV, complete with BT Logos on menu screens, program guides etc.

Though we have BT Broadband we have never signed up to BT TV, do not want BT TV and have not authorised BT or anyone else to put BT software, firmware or whatever on our privately purchased viewing and recording system.

We are outraged!

We would expect the unauthorised placement of such to be an offence, pray tell me how this is justified?

0 Ratings
56 REPLIES 56
zulu17
Distinguished Guru
Distinguished Guru
Message 2 of 57

Re: Feeling Violated

Youview provide various skins based upon which ISP you connect your Youview box to.

So if you you connect it to BT you will see BT TV services showing. IF you connect to Talk Talk broadband you will see Talk Talk Tv services showing. YOuview does not simply list the Tv services that you subscribe to so for example you will see Netflix and Now TV on your retail box irrespective of whether you have subscribed to those services.

If you want a truly retail skin for your  Youview experience then contacting Youview direct is probably the best way of making progress as I suspect that your box supplier Humax will say they are not responsible for that element of software and it is probably data driven.

0 Ratings
ProntoSofI
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 57

We have had our Humax youview box connected to the BT Broadband system since purchase in March 2015, several previous updates have occured and we have never had screens festooned with BT Logos or a system that professes to be BT TV.

Quite clearly this update has been hijacked by BT and I am asking what gives them the authority to hijack a youview update?

0 Ratings
Sport-Tower
Retired BT Expert
Message 4 of 57

Hi,

The mechinism that YouView employs for updates works based on your ISP. So depending on who that is, YouView will provision an update tailored to that ISP.

BT Broadband customers will get this tailored update when connecting a YouView STB the respective broadband connection (other ISPs which provide YouView will get their own tailored experience)

The main difference in the updates are channels available in the EPG (between channels 300 - 599) and the availability of the ISP respective apps/players.

Having this update applied does not sign you up to BT TV services, just mearly gives you access to them if you choose to.

DJ

0 Ratings
ProntoSofI
Aspiring Contributor
Message 5 of 57

I have made a similar post on youview community forums, others comment that they have received the update without branding from their ISP.

BT have simply hijacked the update and are forcing the BT TV system (itself hijacked from youview) complete with garish logos on virtually every page on customers simply because they think they can get away with it.

As said we don't subscribe to BT TV we don't want BT TV and we certainly don't want our privately purchased system professing to be a BT one!

0 Ratings
speedtrip
Expert
Message 6 of 57

@ProntoSofI wrote:

I have made a similar post on youview community forums, others comment that they have received the update without branding from their ISP.

BT have simply hijacked the update and are forcing the BT TV system (itself hijacked from youview) complete with garish logos on virtually every page on customers simply because they think they can get away with it.

As said we don't subscribe to BT TV we don't want BT TV and we certainly don't want our privately purchased system professing to be a BT one!

Can you expand on how BT hijacked Youview, when they are partners ?
0 Ratings
Ectophile
Distinguished Guru
Message 7 of 57

The authority is in the YouView Terms and Conditions that you will have agreed to as part of setting up the box for the first time.  See https://www.youview.com/terms-conditions/ in particular, section 8.

Those explicitly state that the YouView box will update its software at any time.  Your box was connected to BT broadband, therefore it pulled down the extra services that BT offers.

Edit: I would just add that there's is no way for BT to force new software on any gadget that's connected to their service.  It's up to the gadget to check for updates.  In this case your YouView box saw that there were updates and downloaded them.

0 Ratings
ProntoSofI
Aspiring Contributor
Message 8 of 57

As should be obvious at the time of purchase we could have had virtually the same box BT branded for a cheaper price, we chose to pay more because we didn't want the BT system, we didn't want it then and we don't want it now, it is simply BT manipulating the update.

They are, and we pay them to be our Internet Service Provider NOT our TV provider. The fact that we access some TV services via a Set Top Box (non BT) gives them no moral and I suspect no legal right to populate our reception with BT advertising logos.

So disgusted with this we have currently taken the youview box out of the system and reverted to the Freeview sytem of our Smart TV. If we cannot revert to a standard youview update then BT will lose us as customers.

BT's focus is obviously 98% profit and 2% customer.

0 Ratings
scointer
Recognised Expert
Message 9 of 57

Funny that because I hate the adverts (forced advertising) on the ITV channel in the middle of a programme I am watching. I never signed anything to say they could do this. That said I wont be not watching ITV programmes because of it...disgusting behaviour.

You have always had the BT software with the Bt Player and the BT extra channels, just not the BTTV logo. How about putting a piece of tape on the screen so you can't see it...

moonie2014
Aspiring Expert
Message 10 of 57

are you being serious? Theres much more going on in the world than for you to moan about this. What problem is it causing you?

I feel your subject heading is a bit extreme