cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Lib
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 8

Fees for cancelling...

I called BT up to ask how much it would cost to cancel my contract and they told me £127.32. This seemed a little high so I looked up the T&Cs on the website, where it says that for OPt 2 with unlimited weekend calls the cancellation charge is £8.50 per month. Now, I have a little over 7 months left on my contract (started beginning of March 2011) so surely I should be looking at a cancellation fee more like ~£60? Anyone come across this kind of discrepancy before?

0 Ratings
7 REPLIES 7
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 8

Re: Fees for cancelling...

I would have though it would be whatever you paid for your service at the moment, multiplied by the months remaining, which makes £18 a month.

See what others say, but a contract is a binding agreement to pay the monthly cost for the 12 or 18 month period.

Just like a mobile phone contract.

0 Ratings
Lib
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 8

I got the £8.50/month charge information from:

http://www.productsandservices.bt.com/consumerProducts/dynamicmodules/pagecontentfooter/pageContentF...

Also the contract that I signed up to was at a certain price, and BT have pushed that price up twice already in less than a year. Really wish I'd just paid a connection fee up front and never signed up with them now.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 8

Are you sure you are not on a 24 month contract?

That link you gave is useful in case anyone else asks.

0 Ratings
Lib
Aspiring Contributor
Message 5 of 8

When I called up the end date for my contract quoted was in September, and the same when I go through the online system as if I'm going to upgrade I get:

• Your contract started on 09/03/2011
  • Your contract finishes on 08/09/2012

Guess I'll have to call them again at some point to ask why the figures are different.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 6 of 8

@Lib wrote:

I called BT up to ask how much it would cost to cancel my contract and they told me £127.32. This seemed a little high so I looked up the T&Cs on the website, where it says that for OPt 2 with unlimited weekend calls the cancellation charge is £8.50 per month. Now, I have a little over 7 months left on my contract (started beginning of March 2011) so surely I should be looking at a cancellation fee more like ~£60? Anyone come across this kind of discrepancy before?

Did that include LINE Rental, and didm you notice that from June the charge has been increased.

toekneem

(EASBF)

0 Ratings
Lib
Aspiring Contributor
Message 7 of 8

Even then it's quoted as £2.50/month for the line rental cancellation, so other £17.50 and not another £60 on top of the £60 for cancelling the broadband and phone package. Also, I would assume the June charges are if you cancel after that date, whereas I'm hoping to cancel in time to get another service which allows me to watch F1...

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 8 of 8

Depends how you read it, it could mean that any months of your contract after that date attract the new cancellation rate.

Have you tried live chat: http://bt.custhelp.com/app/contact/c/2902/?s_intcid=con_intban_sanda_contact_us_chat_from_forums

open Mon-Fri 8-9 to get a figure.

[edit] Also check with Live Chat about the end date of your contract, I thought that around early 2011 broadband contracts were for 18 months, I could be wrong though.

toekneem

(EASBF)

0 Ratings