Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Sanguine
Beginner
Message 1 of 6

Few hundred metres from live cabinet, told "too far away for fibre"

Dear all

A newly installed cabinet went live in our village nearly a month ago. It's 3-400m or so down the road from my house. As far as I can see from the websites, everyone in the village is able to order fibre, except for my house and a couple of immediate neighbours who all share the same telegraph pole wiring.

Beyond these few houses, about 50-100 yards away in all directions, everyone can order a nice fast FTTC connection.

dslchecker shows no FTTC option.

BT infinity or Fastershire checker says (roughly) "your cabinet is live...but you are too far away". I had an email from Fastershire a while back (the BDUK Gloucestershire) suggesting my address would be being upgraded, which sounded hopeful - since then Openreach emailed me (I contacted them via their website) with a "you're too far away, computer says no" type response and no explanation.

Does anyone know if this is this some sort of database thing likely to resolve itself? It's very frustrating to have had my exchange only line ported to this brand new cabinet just up the road, only to be told I am too far away from it to order fibre.

Thanks for any help.

0 Ratings
5 REPLIES 5
john46
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 6

Re: Few hundred metres from live cabinet, told "too far away for fibre"

Can you post back the results of this checker editing out your phone number

http://www.dslchecker.bt.com/adsl/ADSLChecker.TelephoneNumberOutput
If it does not show a cabinet number it will be because you are on an Exchange Only line which will mean you can not get Infinity because you are not connected to a cabinet, instead you are connected directly to the exchange.
0 Ratings
john46
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 6

It could be an error you could also be on an exchange only line if you post the checker results i have asked fo editing out you phone number we can then try and help you further
imjolly
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 6

you can always right to openreach and see if they will check database for an error  if you get auto reponse then send again until you get reply from an actual person  many have found success doing this

https://www.formwize.com/run/survey3.cfm?id=7214&embed

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Webby
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 6

As you've posted on another forum, the advice I'll give here is the same.

You need to raise the issue with your ISP if you suspect this is a database error.

The line is connected via a cabinet (was EO previously) so I suspect it is just a database problem.
If you want to say thanks for a helpful answer,please click on the Ratings star on the left-hand side If the the reply answers your question then please mark as ’Mark as Accepted Solution’
0 Ratings
Sanguine
Beginner
Message 6 of 6

dslchecker.jpg

Thanks for replies. dsl checker is as above.

contacting BT is proving frustrating, I will retry openreach specifically re the possible database issue.

0 Ratings