Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Oleg
Beginner
Message 1 of 6

Fiber to premeses and landline

Hi all.

I am on Infinity-3 with fibre to premises and have no problem with internet

However, I also pay copper landline rental. The landline is not connected to anything and I don't even have a landline phone in the house...

I spoke to BT accounts and they told me that having landline is mandatory and my broadband will stop working if they cancel my landline. When pressed they put me to technical support and an engineer confirmed that technically copper is not needed, but from accounts perspective it is "part of the package"

I am not happy to pay for a service I don’t use, but not sure where to take it next (Virgin is not available for my address)

Any opinion? Trading standards?

Thank you,

Oleg

0 Ratings
5 REPLIES 5
licquorice
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 6

Re: Fiber to premeses and landline

Unfortunately you agreed to the terms and conditions when you signed up for your service which included the requirement for telephone line rental.

0 Ratings
Oleg
Beginner
Message 3 of 6

Firstly there is nothing in the t&c about the landline:

http://www.productsandservices.bt.com/products/static/terms/

Secondly this is hadly a point - I was never given a choice to "opt-out" of the service I am not using.

0 Ratings
imjolly
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 6

there is no opt out of line rental when you have a broadband package from BT.  it is a condition of BT supplying broadband whether fibre or copper that you must have line rental

I think the T&C 1a covers it

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Ectophile
Distinguished Guru
Message 5 of 6

BT are under no obligation to offer you broadband at all if they don't want to.  If you want their broadband, you have to agree to their Terms and Conditions.  If you don't agree to their terms, you have no choice but to take your business elsewhere.

If they choose to bundle a land-line with every fibre connection, then that's what you get.  Take it or leave it.

0 Ratings
conrad
Recognised Expert
Message 6 of 6

To get broadband you need to pay line rental. In your case I presume you are paying for a single line rental contract which is classed as being a copper connection - this is described as such because presumably the billing system isn't set up to reflect the fact that there may only be a fibre connection to the house so you need to basically read copper as meaning fibre for your line rental. I expect that this may be the case for anyone with FTTP using a purely fibre connection.

0 Ratings