Currently have a fault open with BT which was passed to an (Openreach engineer) They arrived today and still my issues are unresolved.
Various checks and still slow speeds so findings will all be logged and returned back to BT. Upgraded from Fibre 250 to Fibre 900 on the 23rd of March, service went live on the 26th and speeds took a hit in the wrong direction. Upload speed stayed the same and download went to below 100Mbps. After a few days my upload speeds were over 120Mbps but download speeds remained slow. I was actually getting faster upload speeds than my download speed. Contacting BT to check and they logged the call straight away for an engineer as they were seeing same slow speeds and saw a fault on the system.
Not even getting my Guarantee so not happy at the moment like many others.
Your Stay Fast Guarantee
Your Stay Fast download speed is: 455Mbps
Tested my old Router Synology 2600 and speeds are the same as the Smart Hub 2. A profile was changed by the engineer who called BT. Since this change I am getting 330Mbps Down and 116Mbps upload still a long way off 900Mbps.
Any luck for others? it seems the 900Mbps upgrade is very hit and miss.
I'm having a very similar experience. I upgraded from Fibre 250 to 900 and whilst my upload speed has increased to 110mb, my download speed rarely gets above 300mb even when standing right next to the router. Reading other posts I've put it down to the limitations of the SH2 as others are seeing full speeds when using third party routers ? I don't have another router to try. Considering I'm paying extra for the Halo support, I've found them to be pretty useless. The guy I spoke too when I had an initial problem with my upload speed being capped at 50mb didb't even know that BT had launched the Fibre 900 product. Laughable really ! Just putting up with the slow hub -> device speed now in the hope that somewhere they're working on a fix ???
Link speed shows 1000Mbps this is what my connection was syncing at prior to my upgrade. Openreached closed my fault so I've called BT back again to say this is not fixed! I can see the fault open again now. For checking speed I am directly connected to the router over Ethernet. I have also tried connected directly to the modem by creating a PPOE connection. This speed is also reporting the same.
This morning it has been improved from 250 to 900, but only "in advertising". In practice, a computer connected to a hub with a cable shows a speed of 650 to 780 Mb / s. Speeds are constantly jumping. After a telephone conversation, a nice lady said that everything is normal, it should be like this. Unfortunately, in other countries, if the speed is 900, it is always the same. Never less. I also informed that all the boxes on the poles between the exchange and my house are open (there are more than 10), apparently it must be so - Boncath area.
Some of you are not having the issue related to the SH2 at all (the capped 50Mbps upload) I'd maybe suggest you make another post regarding your issues. That said, if you are using speedtest.net make sure you try a few test servers as the suggested one might not be able to max out if you are using Full Fibre 900.
For example this is me testing with the server speedtest picks automatically for me (based on ping):
If I select another server (vox in my case) I get:
Also if you are not connected via Ethernet or using AX wireless then don't expect to be able to get 900Mbps.
The best I've managed to get is:
So my upgrade from fibre 250 happened at just after midnight. The first interruption uplifted the upload speed only, the second a few minutes later, the download. But the upload cap with the Smart Hub 2 was there.
Then about 3am a third interruption took place and now I have the full upload speed.
But I am scared to even reboot the router in case the cap comes back!
Rebooting should be fine, I'd suggest avoiding a factory reset if your cap has already been removed since a few people seem to have found the cap came back for them when doing this.