cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Message 1 of 14

Fibre Broadband availability (or lack there of)

I recenetly moved, when we decided on the move I did a bit of research and it appeared that the postcode had fibre - i thought great, until the day of the move and I tried to set up my broardband only to find that of a street of 70 ish houses 6 can't get fibre (This is really important to me as the non-fibre speed is less than 4mb/s).

I've done a bit more digging and it appears that the street is connected to 2 cabinets, which I initially thought was the issue; however I found that my direct neighbout, and the house 2 doors down were both connected to the  same cabinet as me (cabinet 48) and they could get fibre (where as it appears that all the properties on cabinet 81 seem to be getting fibre also) where myself and my direct neighbout can not.

I spoke to BT home again today to find out what the issue may be, but they seem adamant that it is not possible for mt o get Fibre; however I pushed and aparantly I will get a call back on wednesday (I am not holding my breath).

Is there someone I can talk to to find out what is really going on with my cabinet - is it full (and how can it be - I live on an estate that is 3 years old - shouldn't they have ensured that all properties had the necessary coverage?), is there any other reason why fibre isn't avaliable?

Any advice would be greatly apreciated, I am used to getting well over 12mb/s on ADSL - so to drop down to below 4 is going to be a struggle!

0 Ratings
13 REPLIES 13
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 14

Re: Fibre Broadband availability (or lack there of)

enter your phone number and post results  remember to delete number  https://www.btwholesale.com/includes/adsl/main.html

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Message 3 of 14

I don't have a phone number, I literally moved in on Friday - so that won't work

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Message 4 of 14

Oh, and I would imagine that it will tell me the same as my street address - I just don't understand why there is a difference between the houses on the same address and connetced to the same cabinet

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 14

you can enter your post code but that is only an estimate and it actuall says using phone number is best  try your address

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 14

if connected to same cabinet and using checker is only way to confirm  just because the are conencted to same pole does not mean they are conencted to same cabinet.  if same cabinet and next door neighbours then sounds like an openreach database error

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Message 7 of 14

This is what I get for my address:

Address XX BOULTER ROAD, ANDOVER, SP11 6TL on Exchange ANDOVER is served by Cabinet 48

Featured Products

Downstream Line Rate(Mbps)

Upstream Line Rate(Mbps)

Downstream Range(Mbps)

Availability Date

WBC ADSL 2+Up to 4--3 to 7Available
WBC ADSL 2+ Annex MUp to 4Up to 0.53 to 7Available
ADSL MaxUp to 3.5--2.5 to 6.5Available
WBC Fixed Rate1----Available
Fixed Rate1----Available
Other Offerings
Copper Multicast------Available

This is what I get from next door - literally a few feet away!

Address XX BOULTER ROAD, ANDOVER, SP11 6TL on Exchange ANDOVER is served by Cabinet 48

Featured Products

Downstream Line Rate(Mbps)

Upstream Line Rate(Mbps)

Downstream Range(Mbps)

Availability Date

WBC FTTPUp to 330Up to 30--Available

WBC ADSL 2+Up to 3--2.5 to 6.5Available
WBC ADSL 2+ Annex MUp to 3Up to 0.52.5 to 6.5Available
ADSL MaxUp to 3--2 to 5.5Available
WBC Fixed Rate1----Available
Fixed Rate1----Available
Other Offerings
Fibre Multicast------Available
Copper Multicast------Available

Same cabinet, same exchange - but completely different answer - how can that be?

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 14

the fibre is FTTP - that does not come from the cabinet  your property is obviosly not set for FTTP

you could try the sales for FTTP  08005874787  and see what they say

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 9 of 14

you can also try writing to openreach and see if database needs updated  https://www.formwize.com/run/survey3.cfm?id=7214&embed

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Message 10 of 14

Thanks - I will do both.

Just a query - there is a line to teh house - is there any way of knowing what type of line we have from looking at the boxes etc in the house?

0 Ratings