Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 1 of 8

Fibre In, now Extension disconnected?

Go to solution

Extension socket now dead? Agreed to upgrade to Infinity 2 on HH5 from HomeHub3, Kelly's Engineer turned up, removed old faceplate, replaced with new faceplate, pluggs in HomeHub 5, swapped line at Cabinet, disconnected Extension wiring in Main socket explaining extension sockets would not work with Infinity?

Is that true, not at any point did BT advise me of the risk when moving across to Fibre, does not seem right to me?

0 Ratings
7 REPLIES 7
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 8

Re: Fibre In, now Extension disconnected?

Go to solution

extension sockets will work for phone but it sounds like the engineer just didn't bother to reconnect the extension wiring to new front plate.  you should be able to conenct wires which will probably br loose to terminals 2&5 on back of detachable faceplate  if unsure then check wiring in extension sockets to see which colour is on 2&5 and then do same at master

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 3 of 8

Go to solution

Hi, well you could become my next best friend and save BT's reputation in my eyes...LOL

Slightly confused by what I no doubt is meant to be helpful, I have following wiring colours connected to each socket.

Main socket, incoming line on new Faceplate which has three slots for the wires, Blue on 5, then the Orange in the middle slot and finally the Green wire, the Extension cable is not connected but rolled back inside the faceplate.

At the extension end we have Orange in the middle slot of a 3 slot connector and sits on one side of the faceplate, whilst we have Blue on 3 and Green on 2 and nothing on 1 on the other connection point within the faceplate.

So which of the rolled back Extension wires do I connect to which connector in the Main socket?

I assume you simply push the wires down into their respective connector, in that no special tool is required to connect them? Probably do need something to disconnect them though?

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 8

Go to solution

does this help http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/socket.htm  normally there are only 2 wires connected for each extension socket to terminals 2&5.

you do need an IDC toll to make sure wire is pushed fully down the 'V' terminal - have heard others do it with couple screwdrivers or even spoons but neither recommended

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 5 of 8

Go to solution

Wellllll, link not entirely helpful but that is down to my lack of technical knowledge, so in one last attempt to fix my problem.

Am I correct in thinking that my aim is to connect terminals 2, 3 and 5 from my Master socket with Terminals 2,3 and 5 in my extension socket and if I do then it should all work OK?

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 8

Go to solution
you just need to connect to terminal 2 & 5 on each socket terminal 3 is not needed
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 8

Go to solution

yes but by looking at the terminals in your extension sockets and noting the colours attached to terminals 2&5 will enable you to conenct the correct coloured wires to the correct terminals 2&5 in the master socket

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 8 of 8

Go to solution

Yes done that and now see how Kelly's chap crossed the wires and used what is essentially the the unused wire from connector 3 in the extension socket to connect to the No 5 connector in my master socket, so it was never going to work. Simply corrected error in Extension socket and hey presto all now works!!

And he assured me I could not have an extension as I was now using Infinity, too many adjectives come to mind for public forum...thanks one and all for your time and valuable input.

0 Ratings