cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
aodonnell
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 5

Fibre Not Available but cab is activated?

Hi

I'm about to move to a new house. It has been unoccupied without an active phone line for about 2 years so I have to use postcode searches instead of phone numbers. The searches on various directories show i'm connected to Cab 2 on the Talywain exchange but say i'm 'too far' for fibre.

Using the same postcode but my next door neighbour's address shows me as available for fibre range 19-12mbps (fibre broadband available on Sky, BT Faster Unlimited and Talk Talk checkers with neighbour's address). My neighbour is literally the other side of the road to me (50m) and supposedly on the same cab (confirmed on dslchecker), it's quite a rural area so it would be unlikely we are on separate cabs anyway.

The question is, is it likely that I am actually close enough to the cabinet to receive FTTC service (even 15mbps or so) and the fact that the address doesn't have an active phone line for 2 years is ruining my results? If so how do I go about convincing my service provider to give me fibre broadband if their computer says no? Will the results magically update once I have an active real phone number and show it as available?

The exchange is quite far (3.6km) so I am hoping that if my cabinet is close then the speed gains from FTTC would blitz the ADSL to the exchange.

The proof of course would be actually finding the cabinet and then I would be much better placed to know the distance but finding a cabinet is a dark art....

0 Ratings
4 REPLIES 4
licquorice
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 5

Re: Fibre Not Available but cab is activated?

@aodonnell wrote:

Hi

The proof of course would be actually finding the cabinet and then I would be much better placed to know the distance but finding a cabinet is a dark art....

It's supposedly on Viaduct Road  NP4 7NW, but I can't see it on Google Streetview.

0 Ratings
john46
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 5

without an active phone line you cannot safely say if FTTC is available to you
0 Ratings
aodonnell
Aspiring Contributor
Message 4 of 5

Hi - thanks, I have had a look but this doesn't sound right, the Exchange is very close to that location and it's a long way from me, there is another large village in between that postcode and me, I have presumed my cabinet is in this large village as it would make sense to serve this area/village.

I think i'm just going to have to ask the Openreach engineer when they come to do the install!

0 Ratings
jac_95
Guru
Guru
Message 5 of 5

@aodonnell

Cab 2's DSLAM is on Lower Harpers Road, Abersychan, Pontypool, NP4 8PN.

So you can roughtly work out how far away you are, bear in mind that the "copper" line may take a different route to get to you and may be longer.

0 Ratings