Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Greenlandys
Beginner
Message 1 of 12

Fibre Optic rollout/availability

Go to solution

Hi there,

I have a few questions about the fibre optic rollout in my area, and the local authority on the matter (ConnectingCheshire) has been useless is helping me so far.

The Alderley Edge exchange was upgraded to Fibre Optic a few months ago during "Phase 1 deployment" and looking at the rollout plan found here (http://www.connectingcheshire.org.uk/media/797285/Cheshire-East-map.pdf) my area should be following soon after. We are in the slightly darker orange area south of Alderley Edge and north of Monks Heath Crossroads.

So, Cabinet 1 which we are connected to appears to be fibre enabled but we can't get it yet - I guess the cables haven't been laid but "Phase 2 deployment" should have started by now and we have not heard anything while the map says we should be connected between Phase 1 and 2. Do you guys at Bt know what's going on? Are there construction problems or are we just being left in the dust to twiddle our thumbs with our measly 1mb/s broadband?

I hope you can help explain what is going on.

Thanks!

0 Ratings
11 REPLIES 11
gg30340
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 12

Re: Fibre Optic rollout/availability

Go to solution

The roll out of Fibre and cabinet upgrades is done by Openreach. This is a BT residential customer to customer forum. It is unlikely that anybody on here will have any more information than you have

0 Ratings
john46
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 12

Go to solution
if your cabinet is fibre enabled and you cannot get it then it is because you are to far away from the cabinet for fibre service
0 Ratings
imjolly
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 12

Go to solution

This shows connection speed relative to distance from cabinet for fibre or exchange fir adsl. fttn-speed-graph.gif

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Greenlandys
Beginner
Message 5 of 12

Go to solution

Sigh, right ok. I'll go hunt down the Openreach website and get in contact with them instead.

I'm well aware that fibre speed decreases with distance but honestly any improvement over our current 3mb/s max (if we're very lucky) is desperately wanted.

Thanks again.

0 Ratings
sjtp
Guru
Message 6 of 12

Go to solution

if your cabinet is fibre enabled and you cannot get it then it is because you are to far away from the cabinet for fibre service

or because all the slots on the cabinet have been taken.  Though this seems unlikely for the original poster as either the cabinet hasn't gone live at all yet, or only recently.

0 Ratings
jac_95
Guru
Guru
Message 7 of 12

Go to solution

I can confirm that PCP1 on the Exchange has indeed been linked and installed with a FTTC DSLAM cabinet and is Accepting order for FTTC.

PCP1's FTTC DSLAM cabinet is located adjacent to Yew Tree Cottage on Artists lane, NETHER ALDERLEY, MACCLESFIELD, SK10 4UA.

Greenlandys, if your approx. over 1.5/2Km from the above location then you may well not be able to get FTTC fibre broadband as your just too far way from the cabinet.

Are you able to post the results from http://dslchecker.bt.com/adsl/ ? Please include cabinet and exchange info and the services table.

Remember to edit out your telephone number before posting.

Evidence of PCPs (cabinet) either being planned/installed or already accepting order on the Alderley Edge exchange:

FTTC  DSLAM location PCP (cab.) Number Exchange FTTC Status
SK104UA 1 ALDERLEY EDGE Accepting Orders
SK97EJ 2 ALDERLEY EDGE Accepting Orders
SK97BW 3 ALDERLEY EDGE Accepting Orders
SK97DN 4 ALDERLEY EDGE Still being installed/commissioned
SK97LA 6 ALDERLEY EDGE Accepting Orders
SK97UL 7 ALDERLEY EDGE Accepting Orders
SK97JY 8 ALDERLEY EDGE Accepting Orders
SK97SD 9 ALDERLEY EDGE Accepting Orders
SK97UU 11 ALDERLEY EDGE Accepting Orders
SK97QQ 13 ALDERLEY EDGE Accepting Orders
SK97SH 14 ALDERLEY EDGE Accepting Orders
SK97AB 15 ALDERLEY EDGE Still being installed/commissioned
SK97AD 16 ALDERLEY EDGE Still being installed/commissioned
SK97HN 18 ALDERLEY EDGE Still being installed/commissioned
0 Ratings
jac_95
Guru
Guru
Message 8 of 12

Go to solution

I can confirm that PCP1 on the Alderley Edge exchange has linked and installed with a FTTC DSLAM cabinet and is accepting order for FTTC.

The FTTC DSLAM cabinet for PCP1 (Alderley Edge exch.) is located adjacent to Yew Tree Cottage, Artists Lane, NETHER ALDERLEY, MACCLESFIELD, SK10 4UA

@Greenlandys, do you know how far away you are from the above location? As if your approx. 1.5/2Km away then you may not be able to get FTTC fibre broadband as you are just too far away from the cabinet.

Are you able to posts the results (including exchange, cabinet info and service table) from http://dslchecker.bt.com/adsl

Just remember to edit out your cabinet number before posting.

If you are too far away and that Connecting Cheshire BDUK aren't going to do more work in your area to enable you to get a fast broadband service, then unfortunately there isn't much you can do at the moment.

There is a service (though not currently enabled for your cabinet) where you can get Fibre to the Premises on Demand (FTTPoD) though it could costs you thousands.

Evidence of PCPs either being planned/installed or Accepting order for FTTC

FTTC  DSLAM location PCP (cab.) Number Exchange FTTC Status
SK104UA 1 ALDERLEY EDGE Accepting Orders
SK97EJ 2 ALDERLEY EDGE Accepting Orders
SK97BW 3 ALDERLEY EDGE Accepting Orders
SK97DN 4 ALDERLEY EDGE Still being installed/commissioned
SK97LA 6 ALDERLEY EDGE Accepting Orders
SK97UL 7 ALDERLEY EDGE Accepting Orders
SK97SD 9 ALDERLEY EDGE Accepting Orders
SK97UU 11 ALDERLEY EDGE Accepting Orders
SK97QQ 13 ALDERLEY EDGE Accepting Orders
SK97SH 14 ALDERLEY EDGE Accepting Orders
SK97AB 15 ALDERLEY EDGE Still being installed/commissioned
SK97AD 16 ALDERLEY EDGE Still being installed/commissioned
SK97HN 18 ALDERLEY EDGE Still being installed/commissioned
0 Ratings
jac_95
Guru
Guru
Message 9 of 12

Go to solution

I did post here twice, though seems I'm being subjected to the auto anti-spam system.

A shortened version is: 

I can confirm that PCP1 on the Alderley Edge exchange has linked and installed with a FTTC DSLAM cabinet and is accepting order for FTTC.

The FTTC DSLAM cabinet for PCP1 (Alderley Edge exch.) is located adjacent to Yew Tree Cottage, Artists Lane, NETHER ALDERLEY, MACCLESFIELD, SK10 4UA

@Greenlandys, do you know how far away you are from the above location? As if your approx. 1.5/2Km away then you may not be able to get FTTC fibre broadband as you are just too far away from the cabinet.

Are you able to posts the results (including exchange, cabinet info and service table) from http://dslchecker.bt.com/adsl

Just remember to edit out your cabinet number before posting.

If you are too far away and that Connecting Cheshire BDUK aren't going to do more work in your area to enable you to get a fast broadband service, then unfortunately there isn't much you can do at the moment.

There is a service (though not currently enabled for your cabinet) where you can get Fibre to the Premises on Demand (FTTPoD) though it could costs you thousands.

0 Ratings
Greenlandys
Beginner
Message 10 of 12

Go to solution

Thanks for the reply, here are the results from http://dslchecker.bt.com/adsl/

Is there a reason they don't accept orders too far away from the cabinet or does the connection just become too slow to be worth it?  

We've actually seen the Openreach Van installing cables all the way from the Cabinet down past our house, but that was 1 - 2 months ago now and we've heard/seen nothing since which is why I've come asking in the first place. They've obviously installed something but Openreach have stayed very quiet about it.

Telephone Number *********** on Exchange ALDERLEY EDGE is served by Cabinet 1

Featured ProductsDownstream Line Rate(Mbps)Upstream Line Rate(Mbps)Downstream Range(Mbps)Availability Date
WBC ADSL 2+Up to 2--1 to 3.5Available
WBC ADSL 2+ Annex MUp to 2Up to 0.51 to 3.5Available
ADSL MaxUp to 2--1 to 3Available
WBC Fixed Rate0.5----Available
Fixed Rate0.5----Available
Other Offerings
Fibre Multicast------Available
Copper Multicast------Available

0 Ratings