cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 15

Fibre at my telegraph pole?

Hello all, and thanks for reading this, my first post here on the forum.

I have just bought a house here in sunny(!) Newquay. The BT line checker shows no fibre available yet. I won't be moving in for many months, there is a lot of work to do first. Last week, engineers worked on the telegraph pole right outside my house, and there is a large loop of fibre (I read the marking on it!) hanging down. This is the same with the other two poles in my road.
I cannot see any cabinets between my new house and the exchange (about 500m away).
Dare I think that BT could be planning fibre to the premises as a standard? Or do they split it up the pole and leave the copper to the house?

Any enlightenment would be much appreciated!
Tags (4)
0 Ratings
14 REPLIES 14
Highlighted
Guru
Message 2 of 15

Re: Fibre at my telegraph pole?

It could be fibre running to the cabinet along your pole, though it is normally ducted but I know in some areas they do use poles but it's very rare.

If this helped you please click the Star beside my name.

If this answered your question please click "Mark as Accepted Solution" below.
Highlighted
Aspiring Expert
Message 3 of 15

Cornwall is getting a mix of FTTC & FTTP, so it could be FTTP. You can see pictures of FTTP telegraph poles @ http://blog.thinkbroadband.com/2012/11/spotters-guide-to-fibre-broadband/

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Expert
Message 4 of 15

the loop of fibre is a tube you still need something called a manifold fitting to the dp. the tube or 12pr fibre link goes into the manifold then to a fibre dp. so more work needed k
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Guru
Message 5 of 15

If your PCP area has been designated as a FTTP area you will not have a fibre cab (RDSLAM) adjacent to the copper cab. And by what you describe looks like you will be getting FTTP.

(If I have helped you in any way please click the thumbs up. Thank You)
If I have solved your Issue please click the "Mark as accepted solution" button.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 6 of 15

Thanks guys, all seems to make sense now. My new neighbour spoke to the engineer, but only briefly. He did say it should be going live in March - a frustrating wait if I were living there, but probably running by the time I move. Any ideas on prospective speeds I could expect running FTTP at 500m from the exchange?
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Guru
Message 7 of 15

@dicktracy wrote:
Thanks guys, all seems to make sense now. My new neighbour spoke to the engineer, but only briefly. He did say it should be going live in March - a frustrating wait if I were living there, but probably running by the time I move. Any ideas on prospective speeds I could expect running FTTP at 500m from the exchange?

Doesn't matter on distance and in March when FTTP on Demand 330Mbps is expected to be released but if it stays like it is now 160Mbps.

If this helped you please click the Star beside my name.

If this answered your question please click "Mark as Accepted Solution" below.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 8 of 15

Wow! That'll probably do.........!
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 9 of 15

Using the phone number of a florist at the end of my road (As I have no number yet) I found these results:

Telephone Number ************ on Exchange NEWQUAY is served by Cabinet 29

Available ProductsDownstream Line Rate(Mbps)Upstream Line Rate(Mbps)Downstream Range(Mbps)Availability Date

Featured Products

WBC ADSL 2+ Up to 17 -- 10 to 19.5 Available
WBC ADSL 2+ Annex M Up to 17 Up to 1.5 10 to 19.5 Available
ADSL Max Up to 7.5 -- 6.5 to 8 Available
WBC Fixed Rate 2 -- -- Available
Fixed Rate 2 -- -- Available

Our records show the following FTTP network service information for these premises:- Single Dwelling Unit Residential .

For all ADSL and WBC Fibre to the Cabinet (FTTC) services, the stable line rate will be determined during the first 10 days of service usage. Throughput/download speeds will be less than line rates and can be affected by a number of factors within and external to BT's network, Communication Providers' networks and within customer premises.

The Stop Sale date for Datastream is from 30-Jun-2012; the Formal Retirement date for Datastream is from 31-Dec-2013. The Stop Sale date for IPstream is from 31-Dec-2012; the Formal Retirement date for IPstream is from 31-Dec-2013.

If the End User wishes to migrate from their current Broadband supplier they will need to contact them in the first instance to obtain a MAC (Migrations Authorisation) Code, and then contact their new Broadband supplier to arrange for the service to be migrated.

Note: Please note that postcode and address check results are indicative only. Most accurate results can be obtained from a telephone number check.

Thank you for your interest.

What does "Our records show the following FTTP network service information for these premises:- Single Dwelling Unit Residential ." mean?

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Expert
Message 10 of 15

FTTP IS BETWEEN 120MBPS TO 330 MBPS FORGET THE COPPER / ALI IN THE GROUND

0 Ratings