cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
matthewevans1
Beginner
Message 1 of 12

Fibre availabilty / BT Infinity

I moved house around a year and a half ago and at the time the Openreach site listed my new home as having fibre available and i signed up to this through BT infinity (the only provider offering a fibre service). After 3-4 months of constant issues with BT the order was cancelled without my knowledge (took one of my many, many phone calls BT to discover this) leaving us with out any broadband. After lots of further investigation it then transpired that fibre was not available and after several further months the openreach and BT sites were updated to reflect this.

Recently both sites have been updated again and are showing fibre as available but only Via BT once again. In spite of the previous issues i would be happy to sign up again if i can somehow validate that fibre is available independantly of the two websites above (understand openreach should be reliable but based on previous experience it isnt always).

Does anybody have any advice to offer?  

Thanks

Matthew

0 Ratings
11 REPLIES 11
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 12

Re: Fibre availabilty / BT Infinity

In order to find out what services and speed range you couldbe getting, please enter your phone number into this form.
Broadband availability checker

Please remember to edit out your phone number before you post the results.

Your phone number needs to be a BT Retail one, for this to be accurate.

jac_95
Guru
Guru
Message 3 of 12

What does it say when entering your landline number into http://dslchecker.bt.com/adsl

When posting please edit out your landline number or address, however please keep the other info in the post

jac_95 | BT.com Help Site | BT Service Status
Someone Solved Your Question?
Please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’
Try a Search
See if someone in the community had the same problem and how they got it resolved.
matthewevans1
Beginner
Message 4 of 12

Hi Keith

Many thanks for the quick reply. Here are the results :

results.jpg

So is this a definite then ? I am very cautious based on my previous experiences !

Thanks

Matthew

0 Ratings
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 12

It looks like only FTTP is available as an Infinity option. Openreach often do that for new builds that have limited copper availability.

You could check with the FTTP order team on 0800 587 4787

0 Ratings
jac_95
Guru
Guru
Message 6 of 12

As Keith has said, the BTW Database is showing your property as having FTTP available. 

With Openreach's FTTP network there is currently only a few Communication Providers that have a service that utilises this infrastructure. BT Consumer is one of them. 

You are best to call the BT Consumer FTTP team with the number Keith has provided.

In some cases, more plant work may be required to get the fibre drop cable to your property from the nearest manifold.

Try a Search
See if someone in the community had the same problem and how they got it resolved.
0 Ratings
matthewevans1
Beginner
Message 7 of 12

Yes we are a new build. So would the FTTP availabilty have happened recently ? The girlfriend thinks she did see Openreach out over a number of days in the summer.

Also if FTTP has only become available recently is there any way of understanding if other providers will offer a service but their websites have not been updated yet (Sky and plusnet for example show as only ADSL available). While i would sign up to BT as the only option if it is a case of waiting a little longer for other websites to update i would.

Thanks again.

0 Ratings
matthewevans1
Beginner
Message 8 of 12

just read Keiths edited reply, is there anyway of understanding who the other communications providers offering a service are ?

0 Ratings
jac_95
Guru
Guru
Message 9 of 12

@matthewevans1

http://www.superfastcornwall.org/can-you-connect/fttp-ordering - this will give you an idea, however some will be local Communication Providers specifc to Cornwall.

Try a Search
0 Ratings
Webby
Distinguished Sage
Message 10 of 12

As above, only a select number of ISP's offer service on openreach's FTTP network.

Some people expect this to change in the near future down to changes in the cable links in the exchange. Openreach now allow backhaul traffic to pass over the same cable link for FTTC and FTTP, previously ISP's had to buy seperate links in the headend exchanges.

The price for higher capacity cable links has also recently been reduced by Openreach
If you want to say thanks for a helpful answer,please click on the Ratings star on the left-hand side If the the reply answers your question then please mark as ’Mark as Accepted Solution’
0 Ratings