cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
bflopes
Beginner
Message 11 of 23

Re: Fibre broadband activation failed (FTTP) - Is this the worst service ever?

The fibre cable is connected to the ONT from a small Openreach box to which a black cable from outside the property connects. 

Please see pic below.

Thanks

Capture.jpg

0 Ratings
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 12 of 23

So the installation at your end is complete, but the optical path back to the fibre node, or exchange, is disconnected.

Nothing much you can do from your end, its down to the FTTP team, and Openreach.

0 Ratings
bflopes
Beginner
Message 13 of 23

Thanks Keith

Does the LOS red mean that the optical path is disconnected or it can also mean that the service is not activated even if all the wiring is in place?

0 Ratings
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 14 of 23

@bflopes wrote:

Thanks Keith

Does the LOS red mean that the optical path is disconnected or it can also mean that the service is not activated even if all the wiring is in place?

I am not sure what equipment is at the other end, as I never saw it, FTTP was only ever provided as a Private Circuit for businesses, and had an optical terminating card in the exchange.

That was nearly eight years ago before I retired.

0 Ratings
bflopes
Beginner
Message 15 of 23

Ok. Thanks. Even retired, you clearly know the trade. 🙂

Would anyone have an answer for this question: is a 2nd remote activation possible if the 1st one fails in BT FTTP? 

I'm puzzled by how hard this seems to be and the sudden need to have an engineer on site to activate it ...

Thanks

Bruno

0 Ratings
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 16 of 23

@bflopes wrote:

Ok. Thanks. Even retired, you clearly know the trade. 🙂

After nearly 42 years, I saw most things, right from the days of the GPO (1968) Smiley Wink

0 Ratings
bflopes
Beginner
Message 17 of 23

If only the guys dealing with my case knew 1/10th of what you know ... 

I appreciate that the infrastructure is complex. But the lack of clear answers and proper diagnosis is appalling. I guess is part of the business model ... 😞

0 Ratings
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 18 of 23

The fact that they are not seeing any optical signal from the ONT (ONT Disconnected), would indicate that there is a break in the fibre path, possibly in the node, or in an optical fibre tray in one of the exchanges.

Openreach would need someone with an OFR (Optical Fibre Reflectometer), to determine where the break is.

They used to have PTOs (Precision Test Officers) who did that. The term "officers" originates from the days of the GPO (Civil Service) Smiley Wink

The problem is that the people on the helpdesk, can only rely on software tools which show the state of the ONT at the network end. They cannot do a physical check, that needs Openreach.

0 Ratings
bflopes
Beginner
Message 19 of 23

That's probably the only consistent part of BT's answers: they need Openreach to solve the issue. Although, initially it was to trigger a new remote activation and now it's to physically visit the property.

I'm wondering what's next 😉 😉

0 Ratings
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 20 of 23

They can use the OFR from the property end, that will tell them the distance to the break. Then its a case of a bit of fibre jointing, assuming that someone has not "borrowed" part the route for another circuit.

0 Ratings