cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
mattandwoo
Beginner
Message 1 of 8

Fibre is now just available in my area - will it help my slow broadband?

Go to solution

Hi

The openreach site says broadband fibre is now in my area and a chat with a BT person on line said my line apparently supports BT infinity.

I am sceptical because my broadand speeds historically are very poor.  I think I reached on a test once a download speed of 2.6Mbps/ MB whichever one it is and a test today was still only 2.4MB

I am currently on a standard BT unlimited package which I thinnk is meant to offer speeds of up to 17MB, so why has my broadband not improved or am I still on a copper connection and I can now be put on to a fibre connection and this may improve my speeds.

No idea how it works technically so any confirmation on this would help and be much appreciated.

Kind regards

Matt

0 Ratings
7 REPLIES 7
gg30340
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 8

Re: Fibre is now just available in my area - will it help my slow broadband?

Go to solution

If you use this checker it will tell what cabinet you are on and what services it can receive. 

http://www.dslchecker.bt.com/adsl/adslchecker.welcome

Use your phone number. If you don't have a BT number use the address checker. It is more accurate than the post code checker which can cover more than one cabinet.

If you post the results remember to remove your phone number or address.

Webby
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 8

Go to solution
You will still be on a full copper to the exchange connection.

If you want to take advantage of the new fibre cabinet based broadband you will need to order BT Infinity.

They basically brings the broadband equipment from the exchange, to the local cabinet which is usually much closer to your home and therefore less of the signal is lost before the time it gets to your home, which means a faster connection.

Can you put your telephone number into this checker http://www.dslchecker.bt.com and post the results for us to take a look at?
If you want to say thanks for a helpful answer,please click on the Ratings star on the left-hand side If the the reply answers your question then please mark as ’Mark as Accepted Solution’
brianhes
Aspiring Expert
Message 4 of 8

Go to solution

You'll need to be within a mile or so of the cabinet, as the protocol used for the fibre product deteriorates with distance more quickly than standard broadband.

mattandwoo
Beginner
Message 5 of 8

Re: Fibre is now just available in my area - will it help my slow broadband? here are the results

Go to solution

Featured Products

Downstream Line Rate(Mbps)

Upstream Line Rate(Mbps)

Downstream Range(Mbps)

WBC FTTC Availability Date

WBC SOGEA Availability Date

Left in Jumper

HighLowHighLow        

ADSL Products

Downstream Line Rate(Mbps)

Upstream Line Rate(Mbps)

Downstream Range(Mbps)

Availability Date

Left in Jumper

Other Offerings

Availability Date

VDSL Range A (Clean)7557.52018.5--Available----
VDSL Range B (Impacted)5932.419.18.5--Available----
WBC ADSL 2+Up to 3.5--2.5 to 4.5Available----
ADSL MaxUp to 3.5--2.5 to 4.5Available----
WBC Fixed Rate0.5----Available----
Fixed Rate0.5----Available----
VDSL Multicast------Available----
ADSL Multicast------Available----

0 Ratings
gg30340
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 8

Re: Fibre is now just available in my area - will it help my slow broadband? here are the results

Go to solution

Just so that you know, your present speeds have no bearing on the speeds you will get on Infinity.  

If you order Infinity you should get connection speeds somewhere between 57Mbps and 75Mbps. You will be given a guaranteed minimum connection speed when you order and if you don't obtain that BT will try and sort the problem and if they can't fix it you will be free to leave the contract.

mattandwoo
Beginner
Message 7 of 8

Go to solution
Thanks so much for your help!
Matt
0 Ratings
Webby
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 8

Go to solution
Sounds like a no brainer, get Infinity 1 ordered and never look back 😉
If you want to say thanks for a helpful answer,please click on the Ratings star on the left-hand side If the the reply answers your question then please mark as ’Mark as Accepted Solution’
0 Ratings