cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
nslade71
Beginner
Message 1 of 6

Fibre speed excellent but seems to drop off for say 20 secs randomly...how do i test for quality?

Had fibre installed a few months back.

Fibre comes through fibre installed udner pavmeent out fron of the house, then fibred in to house to router. Router then LAN cabled to my laptop as well as a new BT SMart Hub.

Get speeds as per contract which is great.

However, for some while we have had problems with what seems like the signal dropping.

Have checked wifi router etc. And checked LAN network. Bought latest SMART Hub to check. But still seems to drop irregularly for maybe 20 second intervals. My guess would be 10 to 20 times a day.

Any advice on a) is this likely to be a fibre network issue or a in my house issue (lets presume fibre canle to BT router is good as it was installedby BT) and beyond that I am using a LAN cable and Wifi - both of which seem to experience this issue.

I have tried running a think broadband tool today for a few hours whcih tests the ping (I think). And that is showing only red for two hours which I beleive implies a potential probelm in continuity of service.

Cheers.

0 Ratings
5 REPLIES 5
nslade71
Beginner
Message 2 of 6

Re: Fibre speed excellent but seems to drop off for say 20 secs randomly...how do i test for quality

This is an example of the 'qulity monitor' I have running via 'thinkbroadband'

This is via a LAN cable direct from the BT router.

Someone put me out of my misery and tell me if this is normal or not please.....

since 10am 17nov.JPG

0 Ratings
nslade71
Beginner
Message 3 of 6

Re: Fibre speed excellent but seems to drop off for say 20 secs randomly...how do i test for quality

Is this the router firewall cosuing this 'ping' issue?

0 Ratings
smf22
Recognised Expert
Message 4 of 6

Very likely. Most firewalls will not allow ping traffic from outside by default and so you'll have to specifically allow it.

There are guides on the ThinkBroadband site at Router Configuration Guides for Broadband Quality Monitor

0 Ratings
pippincp
Sage
Message 5 of 6

The home hub does not respond to pings nor is there a setting to enable it.

You would've been better advised to buy a decent router rather than a cheap ISP supplied one.

0 Ratings
nslade71
Beginner
Message 6 of 6

Thanks for comment. 

I would not describe the router as cheap. However, leaving that aside - is there a method to test the quality and consistency of the fibre signal received via a BT SMart hub or not?

Cheers

Nick.

0 Ratings