cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 1 of 12

Fibre speeds throughput not as advertised

It seems as though this is a common issue (reading on the boards).

We have recently purchase an nvidia shield tv and 'upgraded' our service to fibre broadband. We were originally with another supplier and had no issues for 3 years at around 15-17Mbps during the evening and daytime. However this service wasn't enough for our demands whilst the nvidia shield was on and other services in the household.

After a number of issues getting the broadband service installed - installation delayed by 2 weeks and then the phone line or broadband did not go live until I prompted BT on two separate calls. It seemed ok during the first few days after the initial hiccup but after that period the following scenario happens every day:

• During the day we get close to 54Mbps
  • From 1800 every evening our connection speed drops to less than 4Mbps (with only one cabled into the router and running the BT wholesale test)

I thought this may have been the settling in period but my experiences of BT have been nothing but attrocious. (We have had the service installed for 3 weeks now)

What is the best way to get this resolved as I do not fancy waiting another 90 mins on the phone (total of over 3 hours on the phone trying to get my service installed and activated).

Poor service BT!

0 Ratings
11 REPLIES 11
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 12

Re: Fibre speeds throughput not as advertised

It sounds like a peak time congestion issue as this is a BT Wholesale issue they will be working in the background to increase capacity it will be resolved as soon as possible this issue is outside the call centres remit to resolve and will also be affecting other providers as well
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Message 3 of 12

Hi @sirens_slave and welcome.

I'm sorry you're having problems with the connection in the evenings. Can you try running a speed test including the further diagnostics when the connection is slow and post the results. It may well be congstion as mentioned by @john46 so if you can confirm which exchange you're on I'll check if there are any known issues.

Cheers

David

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 4 of 12

Im on the Old Colwyn exchange (code WNOC). Thanks for your help on this peeps 🙂

Seems so strange as I have two lines coming into my house (one fibre and one normal ADSL). The ADSL performs great 24/7 - better than thefibre at points. Sounds like the old contention issue of 10 years ago.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Message 5 of 12

Hi @sirens_slave,

Thanks for confirming that. I can't find anything about that exchange so can you send over your details and I'll take a closer look? You'll get the contact the modrators link in my profile. We're busier than usual so it's taking longer than expected to reply but once you submit the details we'll get to you in turn. In the meantime you might want to keep an eye on the exchange checker for any updates.

Cheers

David

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Sage
Message 6 of 12

Can you also run the Further Diagnostics of the speed test as requested by @DavidM ?

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 7 of 12

Please see the test results as requested:

Results Image not loaded

1. Best Effort Test:

Download Speed : 5.95 Mbps

2. Upstream Test:

Upload Speed : 8.15 Mbps

Your speed test has completed and the results are shown above, however during the test an error occurred while trying to retrieve additional details regarding your service. As a result we are unable to determine if the speed you received during the test is acceptable for your service. Please re-run the test if you require this additional information.

--------------------------------------------------------

Currently my other standard ADSL line is at 11Mb download speed.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 8 of 12

Has anyone had a chance to look at this?

Thanks 🙂

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Sage
Message 9 of 12

The mods here are currently taking 5-6 days to reply due to high demand. They will get back to you though and take ownership of your issue.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Message 10 of 12

Hi @sirens_slave and thanks for posting those results.

We'll need to take a closer look at this for you so can you drop me over an email with the details? You'll get the contact the moderators link in my profile. We’re busier than usual at present so it’s taking longer than expected to reply but once you submit your details we’ll get to you in turn.

Cheers

David

0 Ratings