cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 11 of 27

Re: Fibre with Halo 1 reduced speeds

Hi @JohnW3 

I don't know if this helps or hinders but I have Fibre with Halo 1 and I get on average 73.5 mbps download and 19 mbps on upload.

Note you should ignore the "Halo 1, 2, 3 & 3+" when looking at speeds as it is just an add-on benefit and has nothing to do with broadband speeds.

0 Ratings
Message 12 of 27

Hi IMJolly.

Thank you for your response.

The speed stats from my router are:

Downstream: 62.793Mbps

Upstream: 20Mbps

Are there any other stats from the router that would be useful for forum members to know?

I have tried the quiet line test. I don't have a corded phone but the wireless handset is the one in the base station which I am right next to and the base station is wired directly to the master socket. There is definitely no hum but I can hear some noise which I would describe as mild static. So I can't say I'm hearing nothing. Do you think the noise might be causing packet errors and hence DLM has intervened to stabilise the line and so caused the reduction in speeds?

I've done the broadband/checker.btwholesale thing but can't find a away to copy/share the results. So some results are:  VDSL Range (Impacted) 75.3 to 56.3; Downstream handback threshold (Impacted) 50.8; Maximum observed upstream and downstream speeds 63.06 and 20, respectively, on 27th January 2017. Are there any other stats from this source that would be useful? 

Thank you for all your help. Cheers. John

0 Ratings
Message 13 of 27

Hi. I've now posted the information you requested. Cheers.

0 Ratings
Message 14 of 27

any noise on quiet line test is a problem for your broadband and needs reporting to 151

if you use a Hub can you post the full stats as the abbreviated version of connection speed is of little use.  can you also post the dslchecker full results please

you can you the camera icon to post pics

how to upload photo.PNG

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Message 15 of 27

Thank you to everyone who has contributed to this so far; I am most grateful and I have learnt a lot in the process.

I will report noise to 151.

I have heard enough people say it now to accept that my speed reduction is nothing to do with the addition of Halo.

I have photographed the screens that have been asked for on the forum and I'm just in the process of making them small enough so they don't exceed the upload size limit for this site.

The BT engineer is coming tomorrow morning (Saturday) so I will hopefully have some more information to work on and possibly share here. I am presently moving towards the conclusion that noise on the line is the root cause of the slower speeds and ping times I am experiencing.

Cheers, John

0 Ratings
Message 16 of 27

The engineer has now been to the house and confirmed there is nothing wrong with my router or my internal wiring. He said there is definitely a fault somewhere in the copper from the house or in the cabinet or in the fibre to the local exchange.

He booked an Openreach Engineer for Monday afternoon 8th February who will work on and, hopefully, resolve the fault.

The engineer who came this morning said he had several calls to make around my local area to address sudden drops in broadband speeds and he believed they were all being caused by the same issue and that Openreach had capped everyone's speeds in order to stabilise the lines. 

I'm not going to post any further data on my specific profile/configuration for now but will report back to the community after the engineer has been on Monday afternoon.

Thank you again to everyone who has responded to my posts.

Cheers, John.

0 Ratings
Message 17 of 27

Hi @JohnW3   Just to add, don't be surprised if you don't see the engineer. They may simply work on the cabinet or exchange and not contact you.

0 Ratings
Message 18 of 27

@JohnW3 

from your post I assume that the engineer that visited today was not from openreach but a contractor hence why he did very little

look forward to update

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Message 19 of 27

Yes, my understanding is that the engineer who came today was from BT (the ISP)  who provide their service over infrastructure belonging to Openreach who are a separate entity. Hence Openreach are responsible for resolving any fault in their network. 

0 Ratings
Message 20 of 27

BT Retail do not have engineers.  any faults are done by openreach who may use contractors which what has happened in your case

0 Ratings