Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
AngieB
Beginner
Message 1 of 6

Fibreoptic or not?

Go to solution

I am paying for fibreoptic broadband. According to the bloke on the helpline phone, my account shows me to be on fibreoptic broadband. HOWEVER.......when I use the bt connection speed check, and click the link to go straight to the download speed test, I get a rude message telling me I do NOT already have "fibre to the home", so I have to try again with entering my phone number and the test runs just fine. Does anyone else have this problem? Or am I in fact paying for something I'm not getting?

0 Ratings
5 REPLIES 5
imjolly
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 6

Re: Fibreoptic or not?

Go to solution

do you not have FTTC - fibre to the cabinet - which what most people have.  only a very small percentage have fibre to the home.

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
Friday
Contributor
Message 3 of 6

Go to solution

FTTP and FTTC are two different things.  You most likely have FTTC

25 weeks, 5 days, 7 hours, 4 minutes

jac_95
Guru
Guru
Message 4 of 6

Go to solution

Hi AngieB

I think the issue is, is that you are using the FTTP (Fibre to the Premises) download speed tester rather then the FTTC (Fibre to the Cabinet) download speed tester.

You will more likely be on FTTC rather than FTTP so you use the same download speed tester as ADSL customers.

Ie you can either use 

1) http://speedtest.btwholesale.com/ and when using the further diagnostic test you enter your landline number into the bit where it says "ADSL and Fibre to the cabinet Broadband"

2) or you can use BT Retail's own download speed tester which is for FTTC & ADSL http://diagnostics.bt.com/login/?workflow=Speed

AngieB
Beginner
Message 5 of 6

Go to solution

Oh good grief! *sob* When did this all get so complicated? and WHY do they not explain any of this on the bt site? and how is anyone to find this out? and....and...

Thanks to everyone for your replies!

0 Ratings
jac_95
Guru
Guru
Message 6 of 6

Go to solution

No problem AngieB

Yep, I'm afraid it can get a bit confusing as Openreach have deployed either/both FTTC or FTTP to exchanges around the UK as part of either the Commercial Openreach fibre rollout or as part of the government funded BDUK fibre rollout programme.

Though most of the deployment will be FTTC at the moment, with certain exchanges getting FTTP.

If you have any other questions or want to know a bit more then just ask the community 🙂

Cheers

0 Ratings