cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Nick_C
Beginner
Message 1 of 34

Fileserve Blocked via Transparent Proxy.

I have been having problems downloading files off fileserve.com. When I try it gives a CATCHPA error.

After a bit of research it seems that fileserve.com has been blacklisted by the IWF and as a result, all requests for files are routed through a transparent proxy meaning all UK users have the same IP address (or a very small number of IP addresses) resulting in this CATCHPA error.

Is anyone else on BT having problems with fileserve? Would someone at BT confim that this is in fact the case?

Thanks

0 Ratings
33 REPLIES 33
Paulos
Aspiring Contributor
Message 2 of 34

Re: Fileserve Blocked via Transparent Proxy.

Yup, had the same problem. Wondered why my IP had been blocked considering it was the first time I'd tried to download.

Poplar exchange
0 Ratings
Nick_C
Beginner
Message 3 of 34

Anyone from BT care to comment?

0 Ratings
Fluffbutt
Contributor
Message 4 of 34

It's happened again.

UK is worse than china.. why 'worse'? Becasue WE are supposed to be a democracy.

You expect this rubbish from dictatorial regimes, not from co-called democracies.

We are heading for a era of oppression and dictatorial control even in these 'fake' democracies, even the USA is going the same way.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 34

Hi Please STOP these point less posts this is a customer to customer self help forum not a political area if you have a broadband problem the please start your own post and someone here will try and help you
0 Ratings
Fluffbutt
Contributor
Message 6 of 34

What the **bleep**?

I was pointing out that it's happening again, the first time was March, as from the post dates..

Now, 8 months later it's happening again.

Why is it pointless to comment and make people aware that BT are screwing us over again?
(oh.. that was a stupid question.. the answer is obvious.)
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 34

If you goggle IWF internet Watch Foundation you wil see it is nothing to do with BT and you can also se a list of isp's that are members NOT just BT
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 34

Here is the link to save you looking it up http://www.iwf.org.uk
0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 9 of 34

@Fluffbutt wrote:
What the **bleep**?

I was pointing out that it's happening again, the first time was March, as from the post dates..

Now, 8 months later it's happening again.

Why is it pointless to comment and make people aware that BT are screwing us over again?
(oh.. that was a stupid question.. the answer is obvious.)

Hi.

I can connect to www.fileserve.com ok, is it something deeper than that ?

Can you give the exact details of the blocking you are seeing ? If it is the IWF, then I'm afraid that's the problem for fileserve.com to sort out.

0 Ratings
Nick_C
Beginner
Message 10 of 34

@John

So you are confiming its IWF who are blacklisting Fileserve? I only ask as it seems there is no database/published list of blacklisted sites, let alone one with reasons as to why.

Are BT bound by law to block anything the IWF tells it to?

@Andy

If you see my original post, its not accessing the site thats the problem. You will encounter a problem if you try and download a file thats hosted there.The problem arises because all (or most) UK users appear to be coming from a very small range of IPs (transparent proxy) thus triggering the sites one download per IP per hour rule for free users.

0 Ratings