cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Message 1 of 12

Filezilla FTP for Newbie

Hello am newbie to the forums and I need some advice, Can someone advise me on how to connect to my Filezilla FTP server over the internet, I can see it on my home network but I cant view it from home, I think I must have the settings wrong on my BT HUB, also on a side note could I use my own router in place of the BT home Hub:

0 Ratings
11 REPLIES 11
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 12

Re: Filezilla FTP for Newbie

@thralldine wrote:

Hello am newbie to the forums and I need some advice, Can someone advise me on how to connect to my Filezilla FTP server over the internet, I can see it on my home network but I cant view it from home, I think I must have the settings wrong on my BT HUB, also on a side note could I use my own router in place of the BT home Hub:

Can you clarify what you are trying to achieve as the underlined is contradictory. Assuming you mean that you can't see an ftp server on your home machine via the internet away from home then you need to check a few things. Is your ftp server set to passive or active mode? Have you forwarded port21 to the appropriate machine (passive) or ports 21 and >1023 (active)? Are you using a dynamic DNS service such as DynDNS as your IP adddress will be dynamic? Have you opted out of CG-NAT?  http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/44044/~/ip-address-translation%2Fsharing

Yes, you can use any third party router you wish. It will need to be a VDSL modem/router if on Infinity.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Message 3 of 12

Hello thankyou for replying, to clarify I can access the fileezilla ftp server on my pc using the ip address of my pc, howewer when I try useing my external ip address which is the ip address I need too use so I can view my index ftp page on an pc outside my home network I cant get to it: I have dyn updater installed, with a named ip, but no luck, so am sure its the bt hub blocking me out:

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 12

Are you sure you are opted out of CG-NAT? Are you sure you have the right ports forwarded?

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Message 5 of 12

Where do I find CG-NAT, is that on the bt hub:

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 12

No, use the link I supplied earlier.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Message 7 of 12

Went to the link, and it brought up my external ip address, it said services not detected, am a bit confused as to what to do next, just had a quick read about this, that isps are sharing out ip addresses amongst users, that does not sound good: 

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 12

Near the bottom of the page there is a link where you can opt out.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Message 9 of 12

Ok done that, great stuff had no idea that this was going on, so will retry accessing my ftp site now, will lwt you know soon if I can access it:

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Message 10 of 12

Its almost working am getting access to my password in filezilla by using my dyn ip named address, but it just still not connect, filezilla server says could not send reply, disconnected.

0 Ratings