By the way, if your exchange ever gets 21CN. then you could get approximately 20Mb.
Nice one Don .... why I gave you the gold ..... but you know that 😉
Hope you enjoyed the sabbatical, and rest.
A good and valuable lesson for the OP
I do wonder about the cable being the problem and not the hub too now, John46!
I did suggest that in the beginning when on the phone with technical support at BT, but went through a whole bunch of tests on the phone with BT and they were the ones who suggested a new hub.
must admit I don't understand that one
just looked back to the original post and the hub was changed becuase of ow speed problems I wonder if the cable was the problem all along
In that case, well done you also.
BT staff do make assumptions based on sheer numbers of queries ... and what "seems to fix the problem" sometimes.
Often, without thinking about the obvious.
I am not 'back' but like you popping in and out and making a few posts if I think I can help
It could have been a telephone cable, and not a modem cable. The pinouts are often different, but there would have possibly been a bit of leakage between the wrong and right pairs, for the home hub to see a signal.
It quite easy to get mixed up, if you have a box of cables with a BT plug one end, and an RJ11 the other.
Indeed Keith ...
One has to assume square pin into round hole syndrome ..... doesn't apply. 😉
(I could knit a jumper with failed cables I possess, from over the years.)
I have book marked this post incase it ever occurs again well done IMJ 😉