cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Dippu
Expert
Message 1 of 22

Firmware SG4B1000223E and BT WiFi Fon

My HH6 has just updated to the ...0223E firmware and you need to be aware that this firmware Opts you into BT WiFi / Fon regardless whether you are opted out. All previous firmware builds for HH6 had this deactivated.

I had this facility disabled by the Mods last time (well over year ago) because it was so difficult to deactivate it through normal BT procedures, but hopefully me going into My BT and opting out will deactivate the BT wiFi / Fon this time round.

0 Ratings
21 REPLIES 21
ljm
Expert
Message 2 of 22

Re: Firmware SG4B1000223E and BT WiFi Fon

Dippu, I'm already ware of this and I just can't disable the BT Wifi-X or the BT Wifi-with-Fon! (yes, it has an exclamation mark by the side as well which I think means 'unprotected'??) which is a bit worrying as well.
0 Ratings
Dippu
Expert
Message 3 of 22

@ljm wrote:
Dippu, I'm already ware of this and I just can't disable the BT Wifi-X or the BT Wifi-with-Fon! (yes, it has an exclamation mark by the side as well which I think means 'unprotected'??) which is a bit worrying as well.

I really don't know why BT makes this process so difficult to carry out with success. I will give it 48 hours before crying out for help.

In my opinion it shouldn't even take this long to deactivate with all the technology available today.

0 Ratings
Liam_
Recognised Expert
Message 4 of 22

If the BT WiFi, Fon, whatever, is causing you so much distress you should buy yourself a proper third party modem/router.  Then you get no Fon etc and no worries.

0 Ratings
Dippu
Expert
Message 5 of 22

@Liam_ wrote:

If the BT WiFi, Fon, whatever, is causing you so much distress you should buy yourself a proper third party modem/router.  Then you get no Fon etc and no worries.

I shouldn't have to. Paid £50 for the hub and in any case I would have thought BT had sorted out this known issue that is going back to 2009 I think!

There are 2 reasons why I don't want it: (1) Security risk (and I don't agree with the theory that t is completly safe, and (2) If you live in a built up area like I do then people start parking outside my drive for a freebi surf or kids once they realise there is a the hotspot available.

0 Ratings
ljm
Expert
Message 6 of 22

Dippu, I couldn't have said it any better! I completely agree with you.
0 Ratings
smf22
Recognised Expert
Message 7 of 22

So to be contencious.... I have to agree with @Liam_

Spend the £50 on a third party router. You get something that works. You get BT Wifi when you're out and about. You get no one surfing from your BT Wifi as there's no BT Wifi broadcast from your home.

Seems a win, win, win.
john46
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 22

Another view If wireless range is as bad as some post why worry as no one would be able to connect to BT Wi-Fi anyway
Dippu
Expert
Message 9 of 22

I agree with you john46 the wireless is poor but strangely the signal has got stronger now that it is broadcasting BT WiFi when I checked it using Inssider yesterday.
By the way I did have TP Link D9 but purchased HH6 for simplicity for my family when I'm away. The TP Link broke a few weeks ago.
0 Ratings
thos_tanner
Aspiring Contributor
Message 10 of 22

how on earth do you deactivate it from my bt? I had to ring BT to get ours switched off, and they say it is off, though the router currently says it's on. I would try a factory reset but due to BTs latest inanity that if you want to change any Wifi setting you have to change the password from the default one, and also the last time I tried a factory reset (with a pin in the little hole) it didn't seem to actually reset anything, I'm not entirely convinced that'll achieve much.

0 Ratings