Message 12 of 22

Re: Firmware SG4B1000223E and BT WiFi Fon

28 days?????

0 Ratings
Dippu
Expert
Message 13 of 22

So they say and yet it only takes less than 5 minutes to receive an email confirming that you are opted in.
BT has intentionally made it difficult to opt out.

So watch out people you will be opted in once this firmware update has installed regardless whether you are opted out.
BT system does not seem to check the status. It also seems a low priority for BT to resolve this issue. Been like this since the default was changed to being opted in during 2009.
Probably not in their interest otherwise will not be able to advertise being the biggest wifi network.
0 Ratings
licquorice
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 14 of 22

Its not just a question of disabling it on your hub, your account also needs to be prevented from accessing hotspots.

0 Ratings
Dippu
Expert
Message 15 of 22

In today's technology it should not take up to 28 days and that's if you are lucky
0 Ratings
b10tds
Beginner
Message 16 of 22

I think you will find that the "free BT WiFi" is only available to you if your home hub is WiFi "active". 
Re the issue of people using it outside, firstly they can only be other BT Broadband customers and secondly they will only get access if THEIR home hub is WiFi active. It operates using a closed scetion of the hub that has no access to the admin partition, so what exactly is your problem?

0 Ratings
Dippu
Expert
Message 17 of 22

B10dts; I don't like unfamiliar people parking outside my driveway.
If BT Home Hubs are so secure then perhaps the major organisations that recently been hacked should invest £50 in their IT Infrastructure to prevent further hacks.
0 Ratings
prinknash
Expert
Message 18 of 22

@b10tds wrote:

I think you will find that the "free BT WiFi" is only available to you if your home hub is WiFi "active". 
Re the issue of people using it outside, firstly they can only be other BT Broadband customers and secondly they will only get access if THEIR home hub is WiFi active. It operates using a closed scetion of the hub that has no access to the admin partition, so what exactly is your problem?

It is, of course, possible to be 'opted in' and therefore able to use other people's BT WiFi without actually using a Home Hub yourself. 

P

0 Ratings
b10tds
Beginner
Message 19 of 22

No it isn't they stopped that a while ago, the hume hubs are not part of the "public" network, unless you are both a BT broadband customer AND have your own home hub in active mode AND have the BT connection service installed on your phone you cannot connect. You cannot connect to the home hub "fon" service using any other device!
Don't need cynical comments, just get your facts right, or sink under your own hysteria.
0 Ratings
prinknash
Expert
Message 20 of 22

@b10tds wrote:
No it isn't they stopped that a while ago, the hume hubs are not part of the "public" network, unless you are both a BT broadband customer AND have your own home hub in active mode AND have the BT connection service installed on your phone you cannot connect. You cannot connect to the home hub "fon" service using any other device!
Don't need cynical comments, just get your facts right, or sink under your own hysteria.

Was this a response to my post?

If so, perhaps you misunderstood me. I was simply observing that you can be a BT Infinity customer using third part equipment at home rather than a Home Hub, and still - by virtue of being a BT customer - have access to BT WiFi when out and about. I think you'll find that's generally recognised to be the case, including by BT.

p

0 Ratings