cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
walkerx
Recognised Expert
Message 101 of 133

Re: Firmware Update Today

You won't get 5.1 on freeview, it's only on fthe on-demand. Also check you set audio to surround on box as default is stereo
0 Ratings
Minkey1
Aspiring Contributor
Message 102 of 133

HE-AAC 5.1 audio is included on some Freeview HD broadcasts. The Humax box (once updated) converts this to DD 5.1 for output to an amp via optical from the S/P DIF socket.

0 Ratings
cactusbob
Aspiring Expert
Message 103 of 133

Exactly, for instance Star Wars VI was broadcast in this yesterday on ITV

0 Ratings
Petruchio
Contributor
Message 104 of 133

Yes 5.1 is available on all the freeview HD channels (selected programmes).
Until BT allow the update 5.1 wont work no matter how you have the settings. I am all set up ready to go- so pull your finger out BT and get it sorted (say that last line in a cockney accent).
0 Ratings
walkerx
Recognised Expert
Message 105 of 133

On Humax Freesat HD the audio is converted to DD5.1 without any issues and transmitted via HDMI 

I've tried various HD channels on the Humax Youview Box  and no audio was converted to DD5.1 and instead everything was output as DD2.0 - On non-HD channels the audio is passed as LPCM 48 - This is with the setting set as surround for the SPDIF. 

When you access the BT Player app you then get DD5.1 on the HD movies

Just performed another test - BBC HD is transmitting the test signal at the moment which is in DD5.1 and this is converted and displayed on my Sony DRG820 receiver without problems.

But currently everything on BBC One HD, ITV HD, CH4 HD is being transmitted in DD2.0 only and this is reason why I haven't been able to prove if it works until now.

@cactusbob - Star Wars was not available in 5.1 on Freeview HD yesterday, but it was on Freesat HD as I've been performing a few tests and it was this program that first made me wonder if they had fixed the problem.

In all reality they need to fix the HDMI audio so it is output as 5.1 - I can't see why they can't do this, especially as the Humax Freesat box is a lot older and can actually already do this. Not sure why they have put this limitation on a new product on the market, especially as most users will now be using HDMI only 

wow - someone was quick to delete the next post I was currently responding to

0 Ratings
cactusbob
Aspiring Expert
Message 106 of 133

Well it was broadcast in HE-AAC 5.1, I didnt have it plugged into an amp so I may have been wrong in my assumption

0 Ratings
Petruchio
Contributor
Message 107 of 133

Funnily enough I don't actually mind using the SP/DIF (I had to use that for my old Sky HD which my new YouView has replaced so all the cables are ready anyway). But yes it seems odd that Humax didn't just run 5.1 through the HDMI like most equipment (Sky excluded).
Again I go back to my moan that until BT release the firmware update 5.1 won't be available no matter which cable we use!!
0 Ratings
walkerx
Recognised Expert
Message 108 of 133

@cactusbob wrote:

Well it was broadcast in HE-AAC 5.1, I didnt have it plugged into an amp so I may have been wrong in my assumption

ITV from what I've been seeing does not broadcast in 5.1 

But the following have some good info on it

Freeview HD Audio

BBC blog

Freeview Website

So unless they implement 5.1 via HDMI then you have to hope the broadcasters broadcast the correct audio for it to be decoded to be passed to your av receiver via the optical cable

0 Ratings
TCats
Contributor
Message 109 of 133

I would like to make the forum aware of the the reply I had to a complaint to BT Residential regarding the fact that although the Youveiw box was advertised as being Dolby capable it was not.

Make what you wish out of this.

Some of you will have seen my original post that was removed.

I guess I should not have paraphrased the email on the BT Forum hence it was pulled (no personal info was provided) but my subsequent PMs to the MOD and the replies leave me somewhat puzzled as to what they believe to be the truth.

Here is the Gist as close as I can without paraphrasing but giving the true picture that I received with no embelishment and yes there is a lot of contradiction to what is seemingly occuring.

1. The Youview box is a multi provider box.

2. BT have no control over the software other than the the BT player.

3.Youview had released software to remedy this feature (Dolby).

4.Youview  made it unavailable to all Youview boxes shortly after.

5. BT were contacting Youview to make the software available again.

6. They have had many emails and tele calls from customers on the subject but they are in the hands of Youview.

0 Ratings
walkerx
Recognised Expert
Message 110 of 133

Please see my other posts within this thread which proves the update is still available and 5.1 does work.
0 Ratings