cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Message 1 of 13

Firmware update "killed" HomeHub3 (ver a)

Hi All

I am a new BT Infinity customer, and have Fibre to the premesis. I have a Homehub 3 Ver a.

My installation was activated on 08/02/13 and worked perfectly. 

I went on holiday for a week a couple of days later and when I got back, I have been unable to stream video over a WiFi connection for longer than 10 minutes - what happens is iPlayer, TVCatchup (any tv service you like) works fine but then freezes with a 'loss of connection' error. Browsing is also affected with the same regularity, but is less noticeable. 

Using a wired connection there is no issue. The issue is repeatable across 2 iPhones, several iPads and a Macbook Pro. Having pinged google.com for a while, it seems when on WiFi there are occasions every 10-20 minutes where a request simply times out, and the odd one that takes ~300ms + as opposed to the usual 20ms. On a wired connection there are no dropouts and the response time remains between 16 and 20ms. 

Have looked at the firmware page and it says last updated on 09/02/2013, and is the latest version.

Has anyone else had this? The only things I can correlate to the issue are that it worked fine before that update, and is now next to useless. (Try playing Call of Duty when you lose connection every 10 minutes...!)

Having looked about, it seems that even if I knew what version firmware I had before and restored it, I'd be stuck as BT will just upgrade it again overnight.

So... anyone else had these issues, and what router can I buy to use instead of the HH3? I get the feeling from reading about that I'm unlikely to have much joy with BT....?

Many thanks,

Chris

0 Ratings
12 REPLIES 12
Highlighted
Message 2 of 13

Re: Firmware update "killed" HomeHub3 (ver a)

Sorry - forgot to add: have disabled channel hopping feature, and have tried various channels. Have also tried iStumblr and my signal is much much stronger than anything else in the vicinity, and has a maximum of 12% in the interference column, so I don't think it's that.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Recognised Expert
Message 3 of 13

Are you sure that you have Fibre to the premesis? FTTP should be using the HomeHub 3b

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 13

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 5 of 13

Hi - good question. I thought I was as I have a fibre/optical connection into a modem, which is connected to the HH?
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Recognised Expert
Message 6 of 13

@chrisk1976 wrote:
Hi - good question. I thought I was as I have a fibre/optical connection into a modem, which is connected to the HH?

What download speeds are you getting or surpose to be getting? That will tell you if you are on FTTP or not as FTTP should be 160mb.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 7 of 13

Ah. I was offered 160Mb, but went for 80Mb. Am getting 70+ Mb down, 19 Mb up. 

Just checked: definitely FTTP. Have checked images online for the two installations, and have definitely got an optical/fibre cable in to Openreach modem. Nothing connected to what used to be master BT socket. 

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Recognised Expert
Message 8 of 13

@chrisk1976 wrote:

Ah. I was offered 160Mb, but went for 80Mb. Am getting 70+ Mb down, 19 Mb up. 

Just checked: definitely FTTP. Have checked images online for the two installations, and have definitely got an optical/fibre cable in to Openreach modem. Nothing connected to what used to be master BT socket. 

Have you got one of these? If not, then you are on FTTP and should not have a HomeHub 3a

master socket.jpg

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 9 of 13

Nope. Definitely FTTP. Have a Homehub 3 Type A.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Recognised Expert
Message 10 of 13

@chrisk1976 wrote:

Nope. Definitely FTTP. Have a Homehub 3 Type A.

You need to contact BT and get them to send you a HomeHub 3b then.

0 Ratings