cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Northwood
Beginner
Message 1 of 19

First it's available at my address then it's not, what's going on?

Hello everyone, I have been thinking about getting BT broadband in my new flat however I'm getting conflicting information when I check my address with the bt (and btwholesale) websites. 

When I first checked the report stated (I've taken out some of the postcode etc but can PM it if needed). If it makes a difference, the property does not have a BT line at the moment (the current tennants use Virgin).

For Address ------------ NORTHWOOD HALL, HORNSEY LANE, LONDON, N6 5-- on Exchange CROUCH END

Your exchange is ADSL enabled, and our initial check on your address indicates that your line should be able to havean ADSL broadband service that provides a fixed line speed up to 2Mbps.

Our check also indicates that your line currently supports an estimated ADSL Max broadband line speed of 4Mbps;typically the line speed would range between 3Mbps and 7Mbps.

Our check also indicates that your line currently supports an estimated ADSL2+ broadband line speed of 5.5Mbps;typically the line speed would range between 3Mbps and 8Mbps. Our test also indicates that your line could supportan estimated ADSL 2+ Annex-M broadband upstream line speed of 1Mbps and downstream line speed of 5.5Mbps;typically the downstream speed would range between 3Mbps and 8Mbps.

Your cabinet is planned to have WBC FTTC by 31st March 2012. Our test also indicates that your line currently supports a fibre technology with an estimated WBC FTTC Broadband where consumers have received downstream line speed of 40 Mbps and upstream line speed of 10 Mbps.

The actual stable line speed supportable will be determined during the first.....

Now when I came to make the order the promise of fiber is gone... The BT site says...

Sorry, you're not currently able to get BT Infinity. This may be because your area has not been enabled yet, or your individual line does not support super-fast broadband. Register your interest and we'll let you know if this changes.

The sales rep at BT could not explain the change. The wholesale site now says...

For Address --------, NORTHWOOD HALL, HORNSEY LANE, LONDON, N6 5-- on Exchange CROUCH END

Your exchange is ADSL enabled, and our initial check on your address indicates that your line should be able to have an ADSL broadband service that provides a fixed line speed up to 2Mbps.

Our check also indicates that your line currently supports an estimated ADSL Max broadband line speed of 4Mbps;typically the line speed would range between 3Mbps and 7Mbps.

Our check also indicates that your line currently supports an estimated ADSL2+ broadband line speed of 5.5Mbps;typically the line speed would range between 3Mbps and 8Mbps. Our test also indicates that your line could supportan estimated ADSL 2+ Annex-M broadband upstream line speed of 1Mbps and downstream line speed of 5.5Mbps;typically the downstream speed would range between 3Mbps and 8Mbps.

The actual stable line speed supportable will be determined during the first 10 days of use. This speed may changeover time, to ensure line stability is maintained.

If you decide to place an order, a further test will be performed to confirm if your line is suitable for the service youwish to purchase.

Other addresses on the same street seem to still have the 'comming soon' message. I guess my question is, is this just a glitch or have the plans to offer fiber been canceled or delayed? I don't want to sign up to a 5.5mbs ADSL line if it will not be upgradeable to fiber in the near future. 

0 Ratings
18 REPLIES 18
Webby
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 19

Re: First it's available at my address then it's not, what's going on?

I've seen this a couple of times. It usually disappears a week or so before the actual go live date is set. Keep checking it over the next week or so.
If you want to say thanks for a helpful answer,please click on the Ratings star on the left-hand side If the the reply answers your question then please mark as ’Mark as Accepted Solution’
Northwood
Beginner
Message 3 of 19

Ah good, thanks Webby. It's flustrating that no one at BT seems to be able to penetrate the mists of the Openreach system to tell customers. Does anyone know how long the wait is generally to get a new line and broadband installed? I don't mind waiting a bit with ADSL but I also don't want to commit to a contract until Infinity availablity is confirmed. Equally I don't want to be left with no internet for a month! 

0 Ratings
Webby
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 19

Usually 7 days from ordering, but depends on engineer availability at the time.

If you want to say thanks for a helpful answer,please click on the Ratings star on the left-hand side If the the reply answers your question then please mark as ’Mark as Accepted Solution’
Northwood
Beginner
Message 5 of 19

Okay thanks again. I'll wait it out a bit. I guess there is no way to get a deffinate yes or no from anyone at BT before it's actually installed at the cabinet?

0 Ratings
Aarong
Guru
Message 6 of 19

Generally no, once it goes live then you will be able to order it. B.T will only know if you can or can not receive Infinity at the present time.

Check back at the end of the month, but this is happened to quite a few people, going missing before it goes live.
If you want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings star on the left-hand side If the the reply answers your question then please mark as ’Mark as Accepted Solution
jason_a69
Beginner
Message 7 of 19

Are you still waiting for this? I have a very similar postcode to you and I cannot get infinity yet.

I have checked this

http://www.superfast-openreach.co.uk/where-and-when/

and I get this message

This marker shows cabinet:
 P33
Which is linked to exchange: CROUCH END
Please note: This is the intended area for the cabinet that will provide fibre broadband services to your postcode. We are in ongoing discussion with the relevant authority about the location of this cabinet.

This is rare in the context of our overall deployment, but installing one of our street cabinets can sometimes meet with planning issues, such as where the area in question is deemed a Conservation Area. In these situations we work closely with the relevant authority which could be your Local Council, English Heritage, The Highways Agency (for footway width, reasons of safety and road works) and perform more than one survey to try and find an alternative location. Unfortunately in this case we have not been able to locate one so far. We will continue to work on this and apologise for any inconvenience this has caused. 

I have written to Lynne Fetherstone and she has written to BT and Haringey council to try and establish when this will be resolved. I am sick of waiting.

0 Ratings
john46
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 19

you are posting on a 2 year old post the OP has nor returned to the forum since March 2012
0 Ratings
jason_a69
Beginner
Message 9 of 19

Yes that's right, I have been waiting for fibre in a busy part of North London for 2 years.

Not good is it?

0 Ratings
legitimise_sailing
Distinguished Expert
Message 10 of 19

It sounds like a planning permission issue.
--
To say thanks for a helpful answer, please click the white star
0 Ratings