cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Stuart_B
Contributor
Message 1 of 14

Fitting A BT Modem To A Wall

To make things tidier and to save me tripping over cables I'm intending fitting the Infinity Modem to the wall beside the main BT socket .  I  didn't get any screws with it unless the guy took them away with him when tidying up and I am struggling to find screws to fit ....they need to have very flat heads it would appear ....The keyholes on the back of the box are very shallow and have a piece of plastic at the bottom of the recess ..presumably to prevent things ( like screws) falling in the workings . There is no obvious way of removing the back

Has anyone managed to fit the modem to a wall...and ,if so,how ?

http://www.speedtest.net/result/3761870707.png
0 Ratings
13 REPLIES 13
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 14

Re: Fitting A BT Modem To A Wall

you do not need to remove the back of the modem the screw heads fit into the keyhole slots at the back of the modem
0 Ratings
TheTvMan
Contributor
Message 3 of 14

It can be done with some basic DIY skills. All you need would be a drill, 2 x 4-6mm rawl plugs (wall plugs) and screws, tape measure, level and pencil. Suitable size screws can be obtained at your local DIY store as they will not be supplied with the Modem.

1. Measure the distance between the 2 holes on the router and write this down.

2. Mark one point on the wall roughly where you want the Modem. Use the measurement from above along with the level to mark the second hole.

3. Drill using an appropriate size bit, insert rawl plug, wind in screws and leave around 8th of an inch / 3-4mm out of the plug.

4. Latch on Modem. Adjust screw depth if required.

Hopefully I have not gone into to much detail, but as I do not know you or your skill level we will start there.

0 Ratings
Guru
Message 4 of 14

Hi, I presume you mean the Openreach, white modem?

Don't remove the back. You need to have two screws in the wall which the modem will clip onto.

The easiest way to do this is to place the two screws in the modem with the screw sharp end pointing outwards. Put the modem against the wall and use the two screw sharp ends to mark the wall.

Remove the modem then drill the screw markings. Either raw plus the hole/or screw in the screws leaving them sticking out of the wall then clip on the modem.

You may need to tighten or untighten the screw if the modem doesn't clip on.

Stew

Seems I must be slow at typing!

0 Ratings
Stuart_B
Contributor
Message 5 of 14

"the screw heads fit into the keyhole slots at the back of the modem"

Thanks but that is,or rather WAS  the whole point ..None of the screws I  tried so far have fitted in to the keyholes .

However I have since  tried countersunk screws which do fit ...now I do know a bit about things and one thing I do know is that these keyhole fittings should be used with round headed screws not countersunk ...the reason being that the flat underside of the screw head fits flat against the flat side of what it is securing .

That is the way it is meant to be so why on Earth the manfr has made the keyholes this way is beyond me but at least the problem is sorted . 

0 Ratings
Guru
Message 6 of 14

As long as the modem fits securely to the wall.

0 Ratings
Deathtrap3000
Recognised Expert
Message 7 of 14

No screws come with the modem. Countersunk screws are what the engineer would use to fit it to the wall. They are fine to use.

0 Ratings
Stuart_B
Contributor
Message 8 of 14

"They are fine to use."

Probably so but I like to do things the way they are meant to be done ..lol

0 Ratings
Highlighted
MedicUK
Contributor
Message 9 of 14

What you need is two golf ball sizes of Blu-tac and just push hard.
0 Ratings
A1944
Expert
Message 10 of 14

It is a good idea to wall mount it if possible.  They have something of a reputation for overheating and having them mounted vertically on a wall should help with the ventilation.

0 Ratings