cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
MrCross1
Beginner
Message 1 of 12

Flaming Ads

I've just switched on to my Yahoo mail page after a gap of an hour or so to find it has changed YET AGAIN!!

Now it has flaming ads at the top of the inbox listings.

I never asked for ads, and I can't find any way of getting rid of them.

No doubt BT will tell me its to do with my customer experience, but believe me, BT, when I say it has made my customer experience a whole lot worse.

You have added them to the system, why is it me that has to run through hoops trying to find a way (which I haven't yet) to get rid of them. Surely you can make that process a lot easier for a simpleton like me to cope with?

Can't you leave well alone. It was bad enough having ads down the sidebar all the time, now they're glaring in full technocolour at the top of my message inbox.

If I want to buy something, I never, ever respond to an unsolicited SPAM e-mail ad. You shpoudl be ashamed of yourselves dishing out spam in this way. Oh, sorry - you're a multinational fatcat organisation. When did you ever listed to your customers?????

0 Ratings
11 REPLIES 11
landie57
Aspiring Expert
Message 2 of 12

Re: Flaming Ads

I have just checked my e mail accounts online and main account and one sub account are still in the old Yahoo style but one sub account apperas with the new BT style inbox and as MrCross1 says, flaming advert on the first line of inbox. I suspect this is done delibrately hoping we will click on it in error thinking it is an e mail. Not happy or impressed.

0 Ratings
jayceedove
Contributor
Message 3 of 12

Agreed. Just left off editing a draft that had a lot of information in it.

Returned to find that the draft would not respond and it turns out has been kindly lost by BT switching to the new Yahoo e mail format in the 20 minutes I was away.

Losing me hours of work.

Moreover find the new e mail 'look' is dreadful and much less clear than it was.

And with an advert you cannot remove appearing as the top post in your in box.

This is not at all clever. It is pretty much a guarantee that you will drive customers away.

Really stupid fiddling about for no good reason.

Hopefully BT will learn the hard way not to put greed ahead of customer satisfaction.

0 Ratings
gg30340
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 12

The BTYahoo "update/upgrade" has nothing to do with BT.

BTYahoo is administered by Yahoo and it is Yahoo who have made the changes not BT. It is doubtfull if BT had any input in to the changes that have been made and it is equally doubtfull that any complaints to BT about the look of BTYahoo email will be acted upon.

As you may already be aware BT is moving away from Yahoo to its own email service called BTMail. At some point in the future all BTYahoo email accounts will be migrated to BTMail and when this has been done all ties with Yahoo will be severed.

You will then have a BTMail account and not a BTYahoo email account. It is debatable if it is any better.

0 Ratings
Ectophile
Distinguished Guru
Message 5 of 12

In addition to what gg30340 has said, I will also add that if you have logged into BTYahoo mail, you will have agreed to their terms, which say:

2.7 Advertisements: You understand and agree that the Services may include advertisements and that these advertisements are necessary for Yahoo to provide the Services.

http://info.yahoo.com/legal/uk/bt/terms/mail/atos.html

Ultimately, you are not paying Yahoo for the service.  The advertisers are the ones paying Yahoo.  As the popular saying goes, if you are not paying for the service, then you're not the customer, you're the product being sold.

Bob1001
Aspiring Expert
Message 6 of 12

BT pay Yahoo and we pay for a service that includes email, we have agreed to accept ads but the latest ones that seem like email is unacceptable.

BT has no excuse as they have for almost forever been saying they are going to change to a new system they should either do it or tell Yahoo, who they pay that it is unacceptable.

0 Ratings
MrCross1
Beginner
Message 7 of 12

In response to gg30340 and Ectophile:

If BT pass the buck to Yahoo they should ensure the site is not plastered with BT everywhere. Yes, I appreciate the small print and no I haven't studied it in minute detail. I have better things to do with my time - like watching the grass grow.

The objection is not so much with the ads themsealves - they are nothing new, but the fact that they now appear at the top of most of the boxes - inbox, trash, etc. It was bad enough, but just about acceptable when they appeared on the sidebar - at least you could mask them. Now they are cluttering up the inbox.

I just want to have the option of opting out of seeing ads. They're getting wirse than Favcebook - and that's saying smething.

Cost is nothing to do with it. I accept I have to pay for the service.

I just wish they would stop tinkering and "improving" it when in reality they are just infuriating their customers. If it wouldn't cause me huge problems (my address is used for a lot of research projects), I would change provider tomorrow.

0 Ratings
Bob1001
Aspiring Expert
Message 8 of 12

I have now developed a new mode of attack. I am off sick at the moment and responding to all adverts saying I am very interested and giving BT & Yahoo mail addresses to contact to give me more information. If I could find the chairman's home address of either company I would give this.

I have found a way of getting rid of the unwanted phone calls I give them the ico phone number to ring me back on.

0 Ratings
Bob1001
Aspiring Expert
Message 9 of 12

Of course just giving an imaginary email address and post code would work just as well if we all did that and they got thousands of false leads they would get fed up and go away.

0 Ratings
PaulR
Aspiring Contributor
Message 10 of 12

A quick way to remove the ads is to

1. Open settings, this is found in the menu under the 'cog' image in the top right of the screen.
  2. Under 'Viewing email' select the basic 'Mail version', and press save

The basic version looks very much like the old mail version, and at least currently removes the advert that appears at the top.

0 Ratings