cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 11

Flashing Orange Broadband light for days at a time.

Hi Guys,

Been having a problem with broadband connection for past couple of months.Seems to be fine for a few days and then orange light starts flashing on hub.Usually turns blue again within a couple of hours but sometimes is out for several days.I have a very long 9km phoneline and the speed is only 0.5Mb at best but it has been consistent for 4 years.I'm worried that maybe the line has deteriorated a little more and thats the reason for the drop outs. The hub is currently connected in the test socket with all upstairs phone extensions disconnected.I've have 2 hubs and have tried both with different filters and get the same problem so i think it must be a line issue.Any help and advice would be appreciated.

Currently writing this via a mobile broadband connection because the hub as been out for 2 days.

0 Ratings
10 REPLIES 10
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 11

Re: Flashing Orange Broadband light for days at a time.

welcome to the BT community forum where customers help customers and only BT employees are the forum mods

in order for the forum members to help please can you post the adsl stats from your router you may need to 'show detail' to get all stats (if hub enter 192.168.1.254 in your browser and navigate to adsl or if HH4/5 then go to troubleshooting then logs and you are looking for 2 line together when hub last connected to internet and they will show your connection speed and noise margin or if netgear enter 192.168.0.1). Then run  btspeedtester  (MAC users may have problems). when first test completes then run diagnostic test and post the results ( do not reset the router).

does your phone still work?

Have you tried the quiet line test? - dial 17070 option 2 - should hear nothing - best done with a corded phone. if cordless phone you may hear a 'dull hum' which is normal

If you are 9km from the exchange I am really surprised you are able to get any broadband

Someone may then be able to offer help/assistance/suggestions to your problem

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 11

Can't post the stats as the hub light is still flashing orange but will do so when it re connects.

The phone is working fine and the line is silent on the quiet line test.I think it may be a line issue due to the length and the fact that over time,the condition of the line is only going to,at best,stay the same and will probably degrade.As i said in my first post,the connection has always been very slow but also very stable for the best part of 4 years.Until now.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 11

If phone line ok and connected to test socket with new filter tgen you need to report fault to CS 

interference causes

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 5 of 11

The hub is connected most of the time so will it be hard for customer services to pinpoint a fault for something that is intermittent.Don't fancy the thought of maybe having an engineer visit on a day when the broadband is fine and telling me there's nothing wrong.In a way it would be better if the fault was permanent in order to get a quicker resolution.

Anyway,here are the stats after reconnect.

ADSL Line Status

Connection information
Line state:Connected
Connection time:0 day, 00:11:49
Downstream:288 Kbps
Upstream:352 Kbps

ADSL settings
VPI/VCI:0/38
Type:PPPoA
Modulation:G.992.1 Annex A
Latency type:Interleaved
Noise margin (Down/Up):6.6 dB / 6.0 dB
Line attenuation (Down/Up):63.5 dB / 31.5 dB
Output power (Down/Up):13.8 dBm / 12.3 dBm
FEC Events (Down/Up):775 / 6
CRC Events (Down/Up):1 / 0
Loss of Framing (Local/Remote):0 / 0
Loss of Signal (Local/Remote):0 / 0
Loss of Power (Local/Remote):0 / 0
Loss of Link (Remote):0
HEC Errors (Down/Up):2 / 0
Error Seconds (Local/Remote):0 / 0

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 11

as your router shows max attenuation of 63.5db your correct attenuation is far higher hence the very low speed.  if you can hold connection then repost stats this afternoon to get longer connection time and see how errors accumulate

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 11

you are on a very long line are you connected to the test socket ? also what is the quiet line test like
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 8 of 11

The issue for me isn't the speed although it is snail speed by todays standards.The range of speeds i usually get is between 0.25 and 0.5 Mbps,it's always faster in cooler weather in the winter and seems to slow during periods of hot weather.Maybe the line expands a little when it's warmer,i'm not sure.The 288Kbps is normal for my connection.I've noticed that sometimes just before the connection drops,the downstream noise margin drops to around 1db which then drops out the connection.

It's been connected for around 4 hours now and stats seem pretty stable.

ADSL Line Status

Connection information
Line state:Connected
Connection time:0 day, 03:57:41
Downstream:288 Kbps
Upstream:352 Kbps

ADSL settings
VPI/VCI:0/38
Type:PPPoA
Modulation:G.992.1 Annex A
Latency type:Interleaved
Noise margin (Down/Up):6.8 dB / 6.0 dB
Line attenuation (Down/Up):63.5 dB / 31.5 dB
Output power (Down/Up):13.9 dBm / 12.3 dBm
FEC Events (Down/Up):2950 / 53
CRC Events (Down/Up):2 / 2
Loss of Framing (Local/Remote):0 / 0
Loss of Signal (Local/Remote):0 / 0
Loss of Power (Local/Remote):0 / 0
Loss of Link (Remote):0
HEC Errors (Down/Up):3 / 1
Error Seconds (Local/Remote):0 / 0

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 9 of 11

with your current conenction speed and noise margin about normal 6 you have few errors even for 4hrs conencted.  see if it holds or if noise margin staets to drop especially below 3db.  once it gets that low it is always prone to a reset as your errors will start to increase

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 10 of 11

What is the main cause of noise on the phoneline,is it volume of users,atmospheric conditions etc or could it be just something like bad insulation somewhere.

0 Ratings