Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Lizardy
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 16

Fobbed off?

Hi

Please could someone please advise on the best way of rectifying any of my issues as I have spent 5 frustrating hours talking to technical help and are no further ahead. I will try and be as detailed as possible so as not to waste time.

I have had BT Infinity option 2 installed since May

First problem is that my connection drops out when it rains and my phone line goes crackly.

What I have done: Phoned BT and spent an hour unplugging phones being phoned back on my mobile to do more tests. Ended up one phone plugged into the master socket with my broadband disconnected and told my crackle was fixed although I didn’t have one as it wasn’t raining. Chap argued that I did have a crackly line and it was my broadband interfering and he was putting me through to broadband technical help to fix this issue and after 20 minutes on hold I got cut off.

The second problem is that my connection is nothing like what I was told I would get. I applied for option 2 which is up to 70mb/s and was told that could expect 64mb/s due to my location this sounded too good to be true and it was I had 34mb/s for the first week then it went down to 28mb/s and has stayed like that ever since.

What I have done: I followed all the steps on the web site moved the equipment away from electrical equipment etc. checked forums. During my long conversations with BT mention the problem and was told that this was within acceptable guide lines and I wouldn’t get any more. Not very happy with this answer, less than half my expected speed and made out to be unreasonable for expecting more. I did have a thought that if water is getting in and dropping my connection surly this this would do some damage to the equipment or cable possibly affecting my line?

And my third problem is my home hub I can only get a strong signal on the wireless stood next to the hub trying to get connection up stairs is impossible and else ware it is very week and we can’t watch Netflix without lots of buffering. Prior to having BT Home Hub 3 we had an old Netgear router which we were able to stream all over the house.

What I have done: Used inSSIder and checked for overlapping signals fixed the channel on the hub moved the equipment all no better. Mentioned my problem to tech support when on the phone and was told that because I had fixed my channel to 11 they had to do this there end and would take up to 3 hours to settle down and I would see an improvement after then and to phone back if I still had a problem and guess what!

Sorry for the long rant hope someone can help before I’m off to the quacks for some blood pressure pills.

Thanks in advance

0 Ratings
15 REPLIES 15
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 16

Re: Fobbed off?

If you have crackling on your line and drop outs when it rains you have a fault on your line. You will never get the best speeds as long as the fault is there. There is no point in trying to change channels etc until the line fault is fixed.

You need to recontact BT and report a line fault. Report it as phone fault and not a broadband fault. Don't mention broadband to them or they will just ask what speed you are getting and if it's within the range they deem to be OK they will do nothing.

If you do that and still get no joy come back to the forum and a moderator may become involved.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 3 of 16

If there's rain getting into the line and causing crackling, then it will also affect the broadband speed.  The best thing to do is to wait until it rains, and is really bad, then phone BT to report the fault.  If you report it as a phone line fault (not broadband), then the broadband should sort itself out when the line is fixed.

The Home Hub should have a decent range, but it can't do miracles*.  A few tens of metres is the best you'll get, and intervening walls will cut that down.  Some do go bad, though.

there should be no "settling time" if you change channels.  It will work or not, and it will do it immediately.  When you use InSSIDer, what does it show about the signal strength, compared with your neighbours?  If you live in a busy area, surrounded by neighbours with WiFi, then you may struggle to get any sort of range, as there are only a few channels to pick.  To get good reception, the signal from your hub needs to be stronger than anyone else's.

*don't take the adverts too seriously.

0 Ratings
Lizardy
Aspiring Contributor
Message 4 of 16

The Home Hub should have a decent range, but it can't do miracles*.  A few tens of metres is the best you'll get, and intervening walls will cut that down.  Some do go bad, though.

Thanks for the reply I really do think that this hub is pants compared to my old one I would like a good signal at ten feet let alone a few meters not happening. This is not helped by the help received from BT as the the title fobbed off.

0 Ratings
gavsafc
Contributor
Message 5 of 16

I have same problem when it rains, haven't got infinity (yet) I have same problem with streaming, the hh3 doesn't seem to be able to cope with more than 1 device connected to it! Disappointed in bt to be honest as they don't seem to care. Well I'll not care when I terminate the contract! See if they contact me then as I'm still waiting after 5 days for a phone call.
0 Ratings
ptan
Aspiring Expert
Message 6 of 16

Hi Lizardy

As the others have already pointed out, you have to get the crackly line reported before even attempting  to resolve any Infinity issues.

It is a painful exercise, but you have  to keep on reporting the line fault. Eventually it will be flagged and escalated. At that time you will get an engineer who will be able to test the line and determine how far away the fault is.

I had a similar intermittent issue a while back where the line was fuzzy/crackly and the fault was found to be a corroded connection on the pole opposite my house.

ptan

0 Ratings
Lizardy
Aspiring Contributor
Message 7 of 16

Hi

Thanks all for you advice.

I did read up here before about lines dropping out when it rains and contacted them last Friday to report the fault on the line I never mentioned the broadband just the crackly line. It was painfull in fact he did not take any notice of me and told me it was my broadband that was at fault. Is there anyway past these people as it seems they are paid to deflect problems not solve them!

0 Ratings
ptan
Aspiring Expert
Message 8 of 16

Have you tried just dialling 150? I know that they have changed the way that this operates and you "speak" the problem to the automated system.

I think that you can still get a line tested this way and if you call it when you have a crackly line it may just spot it and get it on the system to be checked.

0 Ratings
Lizardy
Aspiring Contributor
Message 9 of 16

Hi

Had email yesterday saying my case had been closed/fixed so rang 151 to report a telephone issue and was put through to tech who after 35mins doing so called checks told me that she was really a broardband tech and would put me through to the correct department after a further 40mins on hold I was cut off. Really losing the will to live with these people.

How am I supposed to ring back when its raining if I can never get through to correct department.

Lizardy

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 10 of 16

I have asked a moderator to provide assistance, they will post an invite on this thread.

They are the only BT employees on this forum.

Once you get a reply, if you click on their name, you will see a screen like this. Click on the link as shown below.
Please do not send them a personal message, as they may not be on duty for a long time, and your message will not be tracked properly.

For your own security, do not post any personal details, on this forum. That includes any tracking number you are give.

They will respond either by phone or e-mail within 5-6 working days.
Please use the tracked e-mail, to reply, not via the forum. Thanks

modpicture.jpg

0 Ratings