Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
pintosal
Contributor
Message 1 of 9

Fon and Wireless Broadband Router

Go to solution

I recently switched to BT and now have have the HH3 installed. I'm not very happy with the performance, particularly the wireless.

It gives a less reliable and slower connection around the house. The only thing that's changed at home is that the HH3 replaced my trusty Netgear DG834.

Given the issues, I'm seriously considering switching back to my old Netgear router. If I do replace the HH3, then I will be killing the wifi hotspot from my premises. Then, what happens to my FON account and my ability to access other wifi hotspots?

0 Ratings
8 REPLIES 8
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 9

Re: Fon and Wireless Broadband Router

Go to solution

@pintosal wrote:
I recently switched to BT and now have have the HH3 installed. I'm not very happy with the performance, particularly the wireless. It gives a less reliable and slower connection around the house. The only thing that's changed at home is that the HH3 replaced my trusty Netgear DG834. Given the issues, I'm seriously considering switching back to my old Netgear router. If I do replace the HH3, then I will be killing the wifi hotspot from my premises. Then, what happens to my FON account and my ability to access other wifi hotspots?

You can still use it, as its part of your BT Broadband contract, as long as you stay opted in. You can use any router you wish.

You may be able to improve the wireless here Wireless Help

pintosal
Contributor
Message 3 of 9

Go to solution

Thanks for that.

Yes, I have gone through the Wireless Help, and it did improve my situation somewhat.

However, I'm still not getting the same good performance as I when I had the Netgear.

So, if I'll see how it goes and maybe switch if the HH3 performance stays the same.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 9

Go to solution

@pintosal wrote:

Thanks for that.

Yes, I have gone through the Wireless Help, and it did improve my situation somewhat.

However, I'm still not getting the same good performance as I when I had the Netgear.

So, if I'll see how it goes and maybe switch if the HH3 performance stays the same.

Probably best to use the Netgear, as the HH3 is not that good, but its free I suppose.

I still use the original home hub 1.0, and its fine.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
somersetbob
Contributor
Message 5 of 9

Go to solution
Do you remember which channel you used on the Netgear or did you set it to automatic? I always used channel 6 until I found my neighbourhood getting more crowded, then I opted for another channel. I've used various hubs, Netgear, HH1 and currently HH2, HH1 and Netgear were pretty stable. HH2 less so, maybe they've made the HH3 worse still 🙂
0 Ratings
pintosal
Contributor
Message 6 of 9

Go to solution
I use Ch 5. With the Netgear I went through all the channels timing how long it took to transfer a 5Gb file between my wired computer and the wireless laptop. Ch 5 gave best results all around the house. I repeated the same exercise with the HH3 and Ch 5 came tops with that.
0 Ratings
yankeeharp
Beginner
Message 7 of 9

Go to solution
{{You may be able to improve the wireless here Wireless Help }}

That page is no longer available. It says "the BT Web Hosting service that supports these pages is no longer supported." Did you, by any chance, re-post it anywhere else?

Thanks.

P.S.
Why don't you set up email notifications for replies?
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 9

Go to solution

The wireless help page is here, now that the free hosting has ceased.

Wireless connection problems

Quote.

"P.S. Why don't you set up email notifications for replies?"

I do not use e-mail notifications because I use RSS feeds, and special filters to identify thread tiltles that I am monitoring. That is why its important that people do not alter the subject line, as I simply will not see their post.

I can also monitor "key words" like wireless, and certain other words, so I can automatically sort them out into folders. I can also "ignore" posts by people or subjects that I have no interest in.

That way I can avoid being swamped with e-mails, which can happen if you are subscribed to lots of threads.

yankeeharp
Beginner
Message 9 of 9

Go to solution
{{ The wireless help page is here, now that the free hosting has ceased. }}

Thanks. I'm going through it now.
0 Ratings