Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Stormbringer
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 16

Fon and openzone on same hub

Go to solution

im just wondering if i should be seeing both openzone and fon on my home hub wireless conections when i look for wireless conections , am i right in thinking it should just be 1 or the other ?

0 Ratings
15 REPLIES 15
Message 2 of 16

Re: Fon and openzone on same hub

Go to solution

Tis a bit strange. Normally your hub wireless-key should show up, and as you say either or Fon/BTOZ.  I think it is normally shows as 'OPENZONE'.

I wonder if one of your neighbours is a BT Fon member and its that which you are seeing.  Try turning your hub off, and see what is showing up then as an available wi fi network.

Of course Buggins law will be, that if it is a neighbour, he/she might have theirs turned off at the same time as well, and then we'd be none the wiser!

AQ.
"Welcome to Royston Vasey - You'll never leave."

0 Ratings
Stormbringer
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 16

Go to solution

no its definately my hub as ive already done the switch hub off and try to find fon or openzone but couldnt , switched hub back on and hey presto fon and openzone appeared

0 Ratings
Stormbringer
Aspiring Contributor
Message 4 of 16

Go to solution

just to make sure i rechecked it and its same as before definately my hub with both on it

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 16

Go to solution

OK.  Irrespective of which phone you have - 'old' or a T2/Hero - was there a point in the set up with BT software (of the 620/710) or the configuring of wireless connectivity with the T2/Hero where you could have selected Openzone/Fon as your primary Wi-Fi network, and not your home hub (I assume your hub wireless key is also displaying as being 'available.'

(There is a known issue with the 620/710 using the BT software about trying to connect to your hub following a BTOZ/Fon connection other than in the home, but stick with the above first).

If during setup, you selected Openzone as your primary connection and not your hub (or have changed the wireless key of your hub/or have a new hub subsequently), this could account for it.

Without star gazing too much, the other option at this stage is to simply reset your hub, and then see what happens.

There are other possibilities as well I'm afraid.  Its not a connectivity issue, more a functionality one I venture to think, interesting (but let me assure you, not without precedent).

AQ.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Stormbringer
Aspiring Contributor
Message 6 of 16

Go to solution

thx for the quick reply

its a hero im using and i could always see oz/fon on the old 620 but could never connect but could always connect to the hub  , i wasnt to bothered with the 620 as it was so slow surfing anyway but when i got the hero i opted into fon ( even tho it said i was opted in) and next day i could access both oz/fon  , as far as i can remember the hub was always the default wifi conection and yes the hub shows as available

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 16

Go to solution

I would suggest you opt out of Fon tonight as a temporary measure. Reset your hub tonight. Tomorrow, check you are opted out of Fon. Just to be sure, reset your hub then. Check that your Fon status is as opted out on the website. Check availability of wi-fi networks on your phone. Only your hub should show. Then opt back into Fon. The interesting point here is that you've opted into Fon twice - that I think is the issue. Connectivity to Fon/BTOZ has a basket of issues with the old 620 (bless it) which are no longer relevant here as you have a new handset. Sound like Fon membership. In the old days, we all had to opt into Fon. Now we are automatically opted in and hubs apdated by Bt to that. The onus is on the customer to opt out. If you have a go with the above sequence, I think you should be sorted. Finally, I would wipe your wi-fi connectivity profiles on your phone once you have cleanly opted out of Fon, reset your hub, and cleanly re-entered Fon. Then start again with the phone, establishing a wi-fi relationship with (a) it and (b) Fon as it were, for the first time.

AQ.

0 Ratings
Stormbringer
Aspiring Contributor
Message 8 of 16

Go to solution
cheers for that mate i will opt out of fon tonight but will reset hub tomorrow when i have more time as i need to note all my forwarded ports for games etc
0 Ratings
Message 9 of 16

Go to solution

OK. We need the Fon opt out. Clean hub. Clean connectivity profile on the phone. Then start again with phone to hub/phone to Fon.

Lets know how you get on after 48 hours?

AQ.

0 Ratings
Stormbringer
Aspiring Contributor
Message 10 of 16

Go to solution
will do and thx for your help 🙂 ps ive opted out of fon and cant conect to it so that bit was quick and see what happens tommorrow when i reset hub lol
0 Ratings