cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Dorset_Vinney
Aspiring Expert
Message 61 of 75

Re: BT Speedtester - 'Number of Threads are 4' Error

Almost fixed. But it doesn't seem to know how to handle the QoS results - it wants to do that "further test" which given that both the test 1 and the QoS test 2 are fine, seems totally unnecessary. My profile is what it has always been, my throughput for ordinary use is fine, and the QoS is between 500-600 so I really don't see why it wants to do a further test.

It's still feeling a little unwell IMHO. Please keep giving it the tablets. (friendly peer to peer suggestion)

But what would I know - I'm only a beginner. Smiley Tongue

Dorset Vinney - I speak up when I'm worried
Distinguished Guru
Message 62 of 75

@Dorset_Vinney wrote:
snip....and the QoS is between 500-600 so I really don't see why it wants to do a further test

But what would I know - I'm only a beginner. Smiley Tongue

The reason is,  if your QoS falls below the minimum speed set by BT (I presume) then you will be asked to carry out further tests

"For your connection, the acceptable range of speeds is 576-600 Kbps."

As my tests (when speedtester works) normally fall below the minimum level of 576Kbps I am asked to carry out further tests.

eg  "Download speedachieved during the test was - 551 Kbps"

-+-No longer a forum member-+-
0 Ratings
whoosh
Contributor
Message 63 of 75

thought this was too good to be true !

My non BT vision BT BB line - speedtester works fine

On my 2 BT Vision lines I get this !

FAQ

System Error Image not loaded

The IP address discovered on the network associated with your telephone number xxxxx xxxxxx/Service ID BBIP23688580 did not match the one we have logged from this browser/connection.Please check your telephone number and Service ID and ensure that no one else is using the same broadband connection at the time you run a speed test.Try again and if problem persists please contact your service provider.

but even stranger - run it a second time and it's fine ???

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 64 of 75

Ok? Got a new speedtester error.

Performance Tester is unable to run the speed test for your telephone number: *********** and Service ID: ************. Please check that it is the correct telephone number/Service ID for your service. Did you follow all the instructions given on the website, before initiating the speed test. If not, then please follow all the instructions carefully and try to run the test again. If you believe it is correct telephone number/Service ID for your service and you have followed all the instructions then please ask your Service Provider whether you can use Performance Tester to test your Broadband speed. If this problem persists, raise the issue with your service provider.

Did I follow the instructions? answer Yes

Let Java load. Wait. Click yes. Input my number. Go

edit as Whoosh.

Tried a second time and it was nearly fine.

Download speedachieved during the test was - 6621 Kbps
 For your connection, the acceptable range of speeds is 600-7150 Kbps.

Download speedachieved during the test was - 536 Kbps
 For your connection, the acceptable range of speeds is 576-600 Kbps.

0 Ratings
GeneralDisquiet
Aspiring Expert
Message 65 of 75

This is still very odd.  I'm using a BT Business Hub and the speedtester has worked continuously for me throughout the period this thread has been running.

I notice that 'whoosh' also had a Business Hub an was getting the speedtester to work when using that with his PC, but failing to get the speedtester to work when using his HomeHub.

The initial thought was that this was a speedtester issue (it still might be as we have had no confirmation of how many servers it runs on), but it seems less likely.  Then it looked as if it might be an issue with BTVision, but that now seems to have been disproved.

The next 'obvious' conclusion is that it might be a HomeHub issue of some sort - but that might be another red herring.   Can I suggest it would be helpful if posters to the thread could just add the following bits of information at the top or bottom of each post - it might give a better idea of what is going on.   I've included my own info to illustrate:

Router: BT Business Hub

Browser: Firefox 3.6

IP profile: 1250 kbps

BT Vision: No (I wish!)

Time of test: 0700

Is there anything else that should be added to the list that might stop the test - antivirus and firewall for instance?

"To forbid us anything is to make us have a mind for it."
-- Michel de Montaigne, Essays, 1559

0 Ratings
whoosh
Contributor
Message 66 of 75

GD - your assessment is not quite correct - perhaps I have not been clear enough 🙂

I have 3 lines

One BT Broadband line with BT Vision enabled and plugged in - failing every time over period, now working

Two a BT Business Broadband line with a Netgear hub - no fails at all over the period

Three BT Broadband line with BT Vision enabled and no BTV box plugged in - failed every time over period now working

I test all three lines every day

Today,

test 1 on line one gave "system busy" error

test 2 (immediately after) on line one gave "Performance Tester is unable to run the speed test" error

test 3 (immediately after) fine

test 4 on line two - fine

test 5 on line three - fine

I think the common factor is BTVision

PS - Hey DS I see your post seems to have been edited by me - how odd is that ? As I didn't do it....

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 67 of 75

@whoosh.

I could of worded it better.

The 'edit as whoosh' meant that as your first attempt failed but the second worked, the same happened to me. First failed,second worked.

Soz for any confusion!

0 Ratings
whoosh
Contributor
Message 68 of 75

okedoke - I'm easy confused !

0 Ratings
Message 69 of 75

Hi guys,

Thank you all for posting on this so far. If anyone is having problems with the speed tester can you email the mods at forum.moderation.team@bt.com. If you can include the link to this thread, any error messages (exact wording), and the account details we can check it out for you. If you could also include a screen shot of the error that would be great.

Cheers all

David

Community ModeratorDaveM
Did you get the help you needed?
Help others by clicking on ‘Mark as accepted solution’
Show your appreciation!
Click on the star next to a reply to say thanks
Help guide to using the community? Click below
Kudos”Kudos”
0 Ratings
GeneralDisquiet
Aspiring Expert
Message 70 of 75

@whoosh - Wow - now I'm really confused.   I still think (unless I've misunderstood something else) that you need to test all 3 lines with the same router and the same PC.  That means the only variables are the lines themselves.

This way you have evidence that it is a line difference underlying the failure of the speedtest and not a difference in your setup.

In fact, it would be worth using a single PC and testing it with all 9 router and line permutations to see if there are any differences.

"To forbid us anything is to make us have a mind for it."
-- Michel de Montaigne, Essays, 1559

0 Ratings